Please Help: Car Won't Start, Makes Clicking Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help: Car Won't Start, Makes Clicking Noise

goodbytes

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Got in the car this morning and tried to start it but it just made this weird clicking noise. Holding the ignition in start, the clicking continues as long as the key is held. All the indicator lights in the gauges blink in sync with the clicks and the drive belt moves a tiny bit with each click as well.
Is this a battery issue or the starter or some kind of short?

Dead battery.

Try cleaning the battery terminals and restarting.

Oh, does it start with a jump?

Yeah, it started right up with a jump. I guess I'll go somewhere and the battery tested. It is 5 years old anyhow.
That clicking sound is odd though. The last time my battery went bad almost nine years ago it just died--no crank or clicking

Yeah, it started right up with a jump. I guess I'll go somewhere and the battery tested. It is 5 years old anyhow.
That clicking sound is odd though. The last time my battery went bad almost nine years ago it just died--no crank or clicking

Okay....a nearly dead battery. There's not enough current left to turn the starter, but enough to engage the starter solenoid. Thats the click you hear.

Its chattering, right?

Back