• Register Today It's free!

Plug boot problem solved!

97greenmonster

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
On the 4.0 SOHC motors, the boots dont like to come off that easy, and the passanger side bank is a PITA to get to, so, a good way to get them off is a.........knife, yes, knife. if you get the wheel well cover off and get to the plugs, run a knife along the boot until you can fold it off the plug, after that, take some needle nose pliers and pull the metal thing off the plug and use your plug socket and go from there. now remember, use this method if you plan on replacing the wires as well. Once i did this, took about 10 min a plug!! Just thought id share this little tip with you all!!
Clay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally, I just give 'em a twist before removing them normally. Always seems to work well for me.

I'll have to remember the knife trick for the future though.

Yea, i tried that, i worked on one for 30 min twisting and pulling and yanking and spinning. would not budge, so, we pulled out a knife and BAM. 30 min later i was all done with the entier truck!! It worked well for me!! hope it does for you!

Good idea with the knife. I spent hours trying to break them loose before I ended up using a body panel puller and ripping the boots. I used a bit of silicone spray in the plug when I put them back on for next time.

Thanks!! yea, i forgot to do that. so next time, out with the knife. But next time i will. Well, atleast thats another problem solved!

getting some oil under the boot works too, if u have a skinny syringe or something like that

I purchased Denso sparkplug wires and coil for my 1996 Ford Explorer 6 cylinder 4.0 liter. I cannot get the wires to stay in the coil. The holding clips on the plug wires will no latch onto the coil terminals. I cannot press the plug wires into the coil far enough to hold. This is not a difficult task, I have pressed down on the wire terminal as hard as I can. I am pressing straight down and turned the wire terminals a little. I applied electrical grease to the rubber sealing ring. I have never had this problem before and I don't know how to proceed. Can you help me?

Back