• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Police Interceptor Utility Photo Thread

JeffMacDougall

Reaction score
City, State
Nazareth, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
Nice idea on listing specifications. I went back and edited.

You guys with the keyless mod are lucky. I can't find a dealership that will even try.
Every 16,17 & 18 has it. You need to by the proper FOBs (on ebay or Ford dealer) and have the alpha numeric key inside each transmitter, programmed using Ford IDS with VCN II device. I did it with my 2016. Fortunately, i have a buddy that’s a dealer tech with his own rquipment to program. Many dealerships have zero interest in custom programming, especially for PI vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Yaheard...

Reaction score
City, State
Portage, in.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer interceptor

I am in Maine too, I'm in Sanford. Just picked this up a few days ago, was a Falmouth PD vehicle. I really like it so far, only problem is some surging/bucking at light throttle around 30mph and occasional shuddering in sync with the surging. Gonna do some basic 100k tune up stuff and hope for the best. I started a thread on it.
Have you resolved the surging n idle issues you were having? I am having the exact same thing going on with mine that i bought 1 week ago. Wasnt sure where ti attack first. I have no check engine lights either.

kobresia

Reaction score
City, State
Black Hawk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PI Utility
Here's something fun-- in addition to a photo of my 2013 PIU since it's been in my possession, I have a photo from when it was first put into service. I already knew the agency it was from while bidding on the auction (probably even saw it around town a few times), but it was a very nice surprise to find the car's entire shop file in the front seat when I picked it up. It had thorough documentation from when it was new and its maintenance & repair history, including the Monroney window sticker. The first photo was part of their intake process, stapled to the front of the folder.

Here it is in a more recent photo, 75k miles on the odometer later.

I buy retired fleet vehicles with some frequency. Between the careful decommissioning they did and the documentation they passed along, I don't regret paying top dollar as far as auctions prices go for this one, despite having to replace all three motor/transmission mounts shortly after purchase. It was cleaner, better-documented, and still has had fewer issues, than any private party vehicle I've purchased.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yaheard...

Reaction score
City, State
Portage, in.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer interceptor
Updated photo

Now has
K&N Cold Air Intake
2.5" straight pipe magnaflow XL turbo mufflers
Tinted the head/tail lights
LED interior and marker/rear turn signals. Amber/White switch back signal lights
GoRhino pushbar with winch and flood light.
Added the digital speedometer to the dash (Had to get it done at ford)
Tinted the front 2 windows.
Added rear facing "dash cam" (alot of action seems to happen behind me)
Phone controlled door lock/unlock
Auto started added via forscan
What k&n air intake did u buy for it. Which car was it suposed to be for? Sence they dont make one for our interceptors. Iv been wanting to buy one but cant find the one that will fit.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
She's back from the wrap company....she gets her Setina push and pit bars next week.
How much did that wrap set you back, and what kind of wrap/color did you get? That's exactly what I'm looking to do.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
How much did that wrap set you back, and what kind of wrap/color did you get? That's exactly what I'm looking to do.
Just an FYI. That member hasn't been back here since he posted that reply July 29, 2017. Hopefully he is still around.

Peter

steelers06steelers

Reaction score
City, State
pttsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 explorer sport

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
the new sports are listed at 365 horse, have they upped the PIU horsepower on the new 3.7 ecoboosts?
The Sport has been 365 HP and 350 ft-lbs torque since it came out in 2013.The Platinum is the same.

Peter

steelers06steelers

Reaction score
City, State
pttsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 explorer sport
The Sport has been 365 HP and 350 ft-lbs torque since it came out in 2013.The Platinum is the same.

Peter
oh ok. I guess I just assumed that the larger displacement police interceptor package would have more hp than the civilian models.

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
oh ok. I guess I just assumed that the larger displacement police interceptor package would have more hp than the civilian models.
The larger displacement motor in the piu is the 3.7 na and does have more hp/tq than the 3.5 na in the retail explorer. The 3.5 ecoboost is the same for piu and retail.

elchapo11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Police
I saw the thread @ 5th Gen Explorer Photo Thread and thought that one here would be cool.

2017 3.7L
Setina PB300 push bumper
Trailer hitch
Front & rear dash cam
Fire extinguisher
3rd row 12v outlet
FORScan toggle-able "silent mode"
FORScan AWD gauge
Key fob
Gamber Johnson console
any pics?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

ScooterMcGee

Reaction score
City, State
Shucktown, MS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
2013 straight off the trailer. Ex Pennsylvania Highway Patrol, this thing will scoot. Lotta fun, I have already replaced the tired yellowed spotlights. These forums are a real help. You can't beat it for $11,000 delivered to my front door (650 miles). Whoo-hoo!!

my2015p71

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 EXPLORER PIU
2013 straight off the trailer. Ex Pennsylvania Highway Patrol, this thing will scoot. Lotta fun, I have already replaced the tired yellowed spotlights. These forums are a real help. You can't beat it for $11,000 delivered to my front door (650 miles). Whoo-hoo!!

Nice one!

kobresia

Reaction score
City, State
Black Hawk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PI Utility
Welcome to the club!

seatflipper

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 FPIU
New to the game, made this account a while ago when I stupidly won a dozen brand new FPIU rear seats for $100 at auction and my shipping fell through, so I was frantically trying to find someone local to buy them (hence the name). Guess I'm stuck with the name now unless I use an alternate email (or can a mod change my name)? No matter, I said at the time that I didn't own an FPIU but hoped to one day. Well, that day has come.

Here's my 2013 FPIU, 131k highway miles with the Oregon State Police, 4K idle hours. She's LK blue, which matches my 2008 CVPI. Full "luxury" package, so backup camera, USB/MP3 input, etc. Hope to get her on a truck for her cross-country road trip next week. My first projects will be replacing the tires (it's coming with four studdeds that will be great for the winter, but I'm currently gathering some used RS-As), fixing the rear doors (they screwed in plates over the window switches and door handles, and plugged the lock pin holes - hopefully the switches and handles are there and it only needs a few cheap lock pins), replacing the right side cargo area cup holder, reinstalling the lower console outlet plate, and finding some type of center console solution. It has the mounting plate still, and I'd love one of the nice FPIU civilian style consoles without the shifter, but can't find one anywhere. I'll also be adding a hitch, reinstalling a spotlight (they left the bracket and part of the shaft) and reinstalling a push bumper (I still have the tabs in the grille). It has holes on the sides of the bumper from a wraparound PIT bar, which I'll need to figure out what to do with since I'm not reinstalling a wraparound bar. I'll also be reinstalling NMO mounts to deal with the holes in the roof.

I'll start a proper thread in earnest when I get her delivered, but wanted to throw my name into the presumably currently small group of FPIU owners and enthusiasts. Got her for about $6K before auction fees and shipping.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum seatflipper.:wave:
Looks like you'll be busy for a while once you get it.:)

Peter

ScooterMcGee

Reaction score
City, State
Shucktown, MS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
Hey that's a sharp looking ride, great color. They are a lot of fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

my2015p71

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 EXPLORER PIU
New to the game, made this account a while ago when I stupidly won a dozen brand new FPIU rear seats for $100 at auction and my shipping fell through, so I was frantically trying to find someone local to buy them (hence the name). Guess I'm stuck with the name now unless I use an alternate email (or can a mod change my name)? No matter, I said at the time that I didn't own an FPIU but hoped to one day. Well, that day has come.

Here's my 2013 FPIU, 131k highway miles with the Oregon State Police, 4K idle hours. She's LK blue, which matches my 2008 CVPI. Full "luxury" package, so backup camera, USB/MP3 input, etc. Hope to get her on a truck for her cross-country road trip next week. My first projects will be replacing the tires (it's coming with four studdeds that will be great for the winter, but I'm currently gathering some used RS-As), fixing the rear doors (they screwed in plates over the window switches and door handles, and plugged the lock pin holes - hopefully the switches and handles are there and it only needs a few cheap lock pins), replacing the right side cargo area cup holder, reinstalling the lower console outlet plate, and finding some type of center console solution. It has the mounting plate still, and I'd love one of the nice FPIU civilian style consoles without the shifter, but can't find one anywhere. I'll also be adding a hitch, reinstalling a spotlight (they left the bracket and part of the shaft) and reinstalling a push bumper (I still have the tabs in the grille). It has holes on the sides of the bumper from a wraparound PIT bar, which I'll need to figure out what to do with since I'm not reinstalling a wraparound bar. I'll also be reinstalling NMO mounts to deal with the holes in the roof.

I'll start a proper thread in earnest when I get her delivered, but wanted to throw my name into the presumably currently small group of FPIU owners and enthusiasts. Got her for about $6K before auction fees and shipping.

Nice color!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (Front End Popping/Clunking) Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 17
T Location Of 2016 Police interceptor utility a/c pressure switches Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 1
K Push Bar - 2016 / 2017 / 2018 Police Interceptor Utility Explorer Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 7
I Police Interceptor Utility 3.5 ecoboost Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 0
1 13 police interceptor utility brake problem help ? Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 1
A 2016 Police Interceptor Utility 3.7L (AVS) Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 7
M 2016 Police Interceptor Utility 2nd row headrests Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 22
C Police Interceptor Utility Explorer Owners Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 14
T 2017 Ford Police Interceptor Utility - Video Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 0
G Is anyone Moding a Police Interceptor Utility Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 5
S Modified 2016 Police Interceptor Utility Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 72
B How to buy Police Interceptor Utility Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 36
G Door auto-lock feature (@~15mph) 2012-2015 Police Interceptor Utility Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 7
P 2016 Police Interceptor Utility unveiling Feb 12 Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 5
N 2013 Police Interceptor Utility "Ready-for-the-Road Package" (67H) Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 5
BAD430BENZ Police Interceptor Utility in action ! Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 3
SoDakMeadeCo 2013 Explorer Police Interceptor Backup Sensors... Can we add it? Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 1
M Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 4
C 2016-2018 police suv interceptor general questions Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 26
T Rear seat headrest guide for 2013/4 police interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 8
M How to test fuel pressure on 2013 3.7L. Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 7
S Adding third row to Explorer Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 17
D Hello to all. Police interceptor paint questions. Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 0
W Police interceptor headlight question Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 4
J Ford Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 3
C Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 1
Rick Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Ballistics Level III Testing Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 16
S Late model Sport vs Police Interceptor Suspension Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 15
M Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 231
A 2016 Ex Interceptor Police Lighting Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 26
K 2013 explorer police interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 0
K 2013 Explorer police interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 9
1 Install police interceptor push bar on my 2011 XLT today Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 3
6 2015 Explorer Police Interceptor aux steering controls Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 6
M 2016 Police Interceptor B-Roll Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 17
C Help with 2013 police interceptor suv Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 36
C Police Interceptor Emblem Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 13
Anime NHTSA Probes Brake Hose Issues On Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 0
P First 2014.5 Ecoboost Police Interceptor video Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 6
F Police interceptor rear ended at highway speeds Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 6
C Crown Vic police interceptor alternator? Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 0
R Explorer Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 185
G Joe's 1998 Ford Explorer Sport Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 7
A Police interceptor push bar? Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 19
V Explorer Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 21
BrooklynBay Ford's new Police Interceptor. Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 19
Rick 2011 Explorer Police Interceptor Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 83
M Police SUV interceptor rims Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 26
F 2016 Police Utility Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 4
E Any options to replace police-style dome lights? Ford Explorer - Police Interceptor Utilty PIU 7