Police Interceptor Utility Photo Thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Police Interceptor Utility Photo Thread

Ford is usually pretty particular about not allowing actual new sales of PIUs to the proletariat. Must have been some kind of canceled special order or Griffin got a concession from Ford to remove the LE fleet only resale status.

What they actually did was title the whole bunch to themselves and then sold them as used cars. I imagine, being now nearly two-year leftovers and on their second dealer, Ford didn't care. At least, Chicago District Sales Office didn't seem to care.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a dealer do that to get around the LE fleet sales restrictions and I can't think of any reason why Ford wouldn't care as it presents a sort of "slippery slope workaround" for other dealers.

That's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a dealer do that to get around the LE fleet sales restrictions and I can't think of any reason why Ford wouldn't care as it presents a sort of "slippery slope workaround" for other dealers.

I've seen that a few times before, particularly with leftovers (after all, they have to go somewhere). In fact, it's all but an official policy with Dodge and their Charger Pursuit units that go unclaimed for some time. I doubt it's much of slippery slope (at least not in the grand scheme of things) since the vast majority of dealers won't go near these vehicles at all. Not that I blame them, for every PIU they sell, they can probably push 20 Explorer Sports out the door for much more money and without any shenanigans.

Yeah I believe the lot that I got mine from out of Zeck Ford in Leavenworth was the same deal. The dealer bought them at auction and titled them, then they were sold as used...mine had 68 miles.

Oh and I fixed my pics on the previous page once and for all. Google Photos suck.

Yeah I believe the lot that I got mine from out of Zeck Ford in Leavenworth was the same deal. The dealer bought them at auction and titled them, then they were sold as used...mine had 68 miles.

Indeed. Even though when I asked you on Youtube if you got it from Zeck, you didn't answer. Secrecy and all...:)

Indeed. Even though when I asked you on Youtube if you got it from Zeck, you didn't answer. Secrecy and all...:)
Odd, I usually try to reply to all the comments. Must have missed it, sorry. But yeah got mine at Zeck.

Oh and I fixed my pics on the previous page once and for all. Google Photos suck.
I watch the factory auctions through manheim from time to time and most of the low mileage examples are canceled sales or minor factory/transit damage, with an odd test fleet vehicle in the mix from time to time. They are all titled by Ford Dearborn and warranty cards punched prior to auction (typically punched as of date of manufacture) - carfax will show 1-owner out of michigan. There's a few dealers that I see pretty regularly bidding on them and reselling them - Griffin and Jacky Jones seem to buy a lot, and I've run across a few smaller dealers that dabble and buy one at a time.

I wasn't aware some dealers were buying them new just to sit on them for a long time and then ultimately title and sell them as used. I'm sure it happens, but dealers are typically in the business to make money and don't like to sit on inventory longer than necessary. I know stuff happens and it's possible for dealers to have left over inventory, but it still seems odd that Ford would allow that when they are so pissy with their fleet ordering guidelines on PI models. From what I've seen, Ford usually "buys" them back from dealers, titles them, and then resells at auction. This will show on the carfax as it shows the dealer transfer back to Ford , subsequent titling and resale at auction.

It's really neither here nor there though.

Great thread...whats a fair price on these today?
What year? 'New', used, salvage? Prices are all over the map.

in 2016 Zeck and a ton of them, all exactly the same. The story I was told was they were for a deal for Puerto Rico that fell through and they all went to auction. I also heard NY State Police. My car did come with a separate Spanish user manual though. Not sure if that's normal. Mine did have some minor cosmetic issues as well.

New to the game, made this account a while ago when I stupidly won a dozen brand new FPIU rear seats for $100 at auction and my shipping fell through, so I was frantically trying to find someone local to buy them (hence the name). Guess I'm stuck with the name now unless I use an alternate email (or can a mod change my name)? No matter, I said at the time that I didn't own an FPIU but hoped to one day. Well, that day has come.

i may need some seats. im supposed to go to a junkyard to pull some seats, but not sure of the condition.

i travel between beckley wv and nyc. my primary home at this time is in wv though.
if you know of some yards i can scavenge

I flew to Wisconsin, picked up a 2017 with 38 miles on it from Griffin Ford and drove it back to Denver. Totally painless transaction.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CE9eLy9jm1rXyLA19

Hal
CE9eLy9jm1rXyLA19

Welcome to the Forum Hal.:wave:
Nice looking ride!

Peter

Picking up at the end of the month, 2013 100k miles. Canadian driven lol

Picking up at the end of the month, 2013 100k miles. Canadian driven lol
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
That about 161,000 kms. Will you be getting any maintenance records with it?

Peter

No records besides carfax but I did get a warranty that covers everything mechanically for the next few years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updated photo

Now has
K&N Cold Air Intake
2.5" straight pipe magnaflow XL turbo mufflers
Tinted the head/tail lights
LED interior and marker/rear turn signals. Amber/White switch back signal lights
GoRhino pushbar with winch and flood light.
Added the digital speedometer to the dash (Had to get it done at ford)
Tinted the front 2 windows.
Added rear facing "dash cam" (alot of action seems to happen behind me)
Phone controlled door lock/unlock
Auto started added via forscan
aaxgch.jpg
What motor do you have? Reason I’m asking is I have a 3.7 and have been looking for a cold air intake but can’t find anything that will work.

Back