Police Interceptor Utility Photo Thread | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Police Interceptor Utility Photo Thread

My new to me 2016 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost FPIU washed and waxed. Looks almost brand new
EF91478A-9135-4370-9CC1-2040EDEA3427.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No not yet. Have to figure out where and what wires they are

Looks awesome! Nice job.

Super dumb question here, but why are the interceptors all column shift? Is it due to the litany of electronics/technology required in the center of the cabin?

Super dumb question here, but why are the interceptors all column shift? Is it due to the litany of electronics/technology required in the center of the cabin?
Not sure but I think you answered your own question. :) It frees up space on the center console.

Peter

Not a dumb question, but you’re correct. It allows the upfitters to add whatever full-width radios, controls, etc. to be added in the center console area. Plus, a column shifter is intuitive when you need to quickly slam it into Drive. That’s also why low gear is a push button — you don’t want to accidentally slam it into low gear during pursuit.

Man you fellas up north get the best colors and the best grilles. would you mind sharing where you bought it? The grille that is.
I believe that is the stock PIU grille.

Peter

And here is my new ride - 2015 Michigan State Police PIU, just drove back from Chicago to Denver this past weekend!

View attachment 330164
I was always on the lookout for that color while I was s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ driving as a college kid in Michigan. LOL

Yep. That is the stock PIU EB grill.

Keep in mind most PIUs come with no console at all. Precisely to allow installation of a police console and related equipment. The only police SUV that comes with floor shift is the Durango. It forced upfitters to develop a police console that goes OVER the existing one. Kind of an odd setup.

Here it is, final moments with my 2013 PIU - might be going to another Ford fanatic sometime soon. 2014 stays in the family for now!

20210910_172435704_iOS (2).jpg

Where in Poland is RDE?
RDE is Debica, southeast Poland. I spend most of my time in Chicago but still keep my "escape pod" in Poland - sort of my home away from home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RDE is Debica, southeast Poland. I spend most of my time in Chicago but still keep my "escape pod" in Poland - sort of my home away from home.
Well, Chicago IS the second-largest city in Poland. :)

Back