Polk Audio or Pioneer?

Kontrol-Trak

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95' EB 4X4
What's up, guys?

I'm thinking about replacing the stock speakers with either 6x8 Polk Audio dX7 or Pioneer TS-A6895 (Compression Horn Tweeters). I understand that the Pioneers have better efficiency, which are rated at 91 dB. What do guys think? I'll be keeping my stock HU with factory amp. Does anybody have experience with those compression horn equipped Pioneers? Do they produce harsh highs?

Any input will be appreciated! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you listened to both in a comparason in a quality stereo store's sound room?

Originally posted by aldive
Have you listened to both in a comparason in a quality stereo store's sound room?

Unfortunately, no :( I have to make a choice based on reviews/opinions I can find here and other places on the net. The stereo shops around here do not carry those speakers or they don't have them hooked up to a listening station. Also, they usually recommend sh*tty speakers...so I can't trust those stereo guys.

I used to have MB Quart componets in another car. They produced excellent sound, but the highs were way too harsh for my taste. I want speakers that will produce clear highs and midrange without the harshness, but do not require alot of power to sound good.

the pioneers are sound much brighter, but dont do well with midbass. they are a good choice if you have a subwoofer to handle the lows. the dx7s have a fuller sound. not as bright as the pioneers but the midbass is excellent. and they sound very good even when powered by the headunit.

Originally posted by leenjen
the pioneers are sound much brighter, but dont do well with midbass. they are a good choice if you have a subwoofer to handle the lows. the dx7s have a fuller sound. not as bright as the pioneers but the midbass is excellent. and they sound very good even when powered by the headunit.
Thanks for your opinion :) My EX has a factory subwoofer, there seems to be a crossover for the front and rear speakers to filter out bass and some midrange. Do you know if the crossover is located at the speakers or the amp? Is it adjustable? I'd like to have a little more bass from the speakers also...

Originally posted by leenjen

He's right! :D

I've got the polk dx7's, powered by the headunit, and I love the sound of 'em. I have subs too, but I think they handle the highs really well. I think either way you go, you won't be dissappointed, but if you want my vote, the polk's rock...

Hey thanks :D

Has anyone seen the dX7s for cheap online? The best price I've seen so far is $109(?) a pair at www.carstereomall.com

Get em from ebay for around $80.00.

Back