• Register Today It's free!

popping and missing

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 limited (gone)
Hi folks;
Man, I hope you guys can help me out here. Last weekend I noticed a problem I have never had before. I was leaving work and getting on the freeway when I noticed the ex was "popping and missing". I will tell you the symptoms and the conditions under which they occur.

The truck always starts normally, as if there was nothing wrong at all.

when cold: under load, such as picking up speed for entering freeway. I can hear it popping. It sounds like it is popping through the intake and exhaust. I can feel it hesitating as it does this. Goes away when I back off the gas.

when warm: pops less, but still does it a bit. pings under light load, ping goes away under load, but comes back as rpm's increase; such as when I kick it down a gear to go up a hill.

I made no changes under the hood just before this happened. the only thing I did to the ex at all was to install a safe in the back of the truck. I did this with self-tapping screws, run through the carpet and into the floor of the truck. If it had an older style ignition, I would think that the points were loose or the ignition timing was way off, but these new ignitions, I don't have any experiance with.
Thanks for any tips you can help me out with;
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

glad i read the subject to this thread a second time.....i thought it said "pooping and missing" i was almost affraid to open it up and read it

Check and make sure your MAS is still plugged in properly and try cleaning it. So you have the SOHC engine?

oops

Oops;
Forgot about that. I have the 5.0 v-8 engine in my ex.
George

Could the sound be more like a ticking noise? Check your exhaust manifold and your EGR tube.

Man, I feel stupid; was:popping and missing

O.k; You can all laugh at me now;
Hell, why not; I'm kicking myself in the butt about every third step! Pondered over what was wrong with my ex; finally posted a message to the board called "popping and missing"; pondered some more.
Finally got tired of pondering; (hurts my tired feeble old brain). Finally drove it down to a buddy's shop and we sat there going over everything it could possiby be for about twenty minutes. Man, we talked about o2 sensors, timing chains, ignition problems, fuel delivery problems; all kinds of stuff! finally, we walked out and popped open the hood. We both took one look and started laughing. There; right in front of my nose were three arcing spark plug wires! Well neither one of us had the time to get tune-up parts and fix it the right way, so we just wrapped those wires with "mechanic on a roll"; (electrical tape) for now.
Yea, it runs a little better just from doing that, but it needs a real complete tune-up. That should fix my problem.
Just another case of not looking at the right stuff before opening my big mouth! Hmmm...... Will I ever learn?
o.k; let the "Why did'nt you look before, you big dummy" begin. hahahahahaha..........
(humble) George

Been their, done that before!! At least it's something easy of a fix. It could be worse. :D

how old are the wires? and sounds like time to replace

If it makes you feel better :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now that I've got up off the floor I have a confession to make. I did a clutch job on a small sports car. Had to take both the engine and gearbox out as a lump and then do the clutch. Got it all back in and ready to go when I notice that there is a spare part on the floor of the garage. Yup you guessed the nice new clutch centre plate still in it's box. Doh.

Back