Popping noise from rear underneath | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping noise from rear underneath

Nonoy

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk, Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 SOH XLT Contoltract
I hear popping noise from rear underneath everytime I hit a bump or small pot holes. I just installed a new Bilstein shocks and I'm sure it's not my sway bar bushing. Anybody who had this problem? How can I get rid of that noise?:hammer:

Are your shock bushings installed properly? And are your shocks on tight?

re: popping noise in rear

Hi;
I too had that noise. I know you were just under your truck, but crawl back under there and look at the upper passenger side sway bar link bushing. Mine was making noise for quite a while. I had it looked at when it was at the body shop. The guy told me what it was and replaced both of the sway bar links. I know he replaced them because I looked under it to check. A couple of weeks later the noise was back. I crawled under there and found that the bushing was still bolted to the frame, but the round end of the link had slipped off the bushing. I just took the whole link off that side until I can remove the whole bar. I can not tell any difference in the way the truck handles with the link off.
The noise was created by the link hitting the edge of the frame as the suspension flexed. When I got the link off, I could see the flat spot on the top of the link where it had been hitting the frame.
George

Back