• Register Today It's free!

Porting the Intake

audiodude332001

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0
Hey everyone. I blew my engine a couple of weeks ago, and have replaced it and have the old engine sitting in my garage collecting dust. So I have decided to port the intake on the old engine and swap it onto the new one. I have started porting the lower intake manifold, and was wondering if anyone else has done porting on a first gen. If so, does anyone have any tips/tricks that might help me out? Also, what kind of gains am I going to get out of this? Better response and more power, or better gas mileage. I am assuming that if I get better performance, my gas mileage will go down. Is this true?
Thanks,
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not port and polish the upper intake to match?
The heads will make more difference if you port and polish them, and then modify the computer to compensate (i.e. chip).

My friend has a ported and bored (.20 over I think) 2.9L in his Bronco II. His truck is not quite as strong as my 4.0L but it's pretty good for a 2.9. He doesn't have a chip though, and I think that hurts him, as the engine never seems to burn right (pinging, loss of power issues). That's what you get when you port and bore without adjusting the PCM with these fuel injected trucks. Just porting the intake may not do this though. I don't know.

porting the intake is certainly a good thing if you're trying to squeeze a few more horses out of the motor, but if you have the stock heads or cam, you're wasting your time, unless you're going to upgrade those later.

It will help in a supercharged setup, though.

See this link.....before/after pics:

http://images.sounddomain.com/member_images/6/web/138000-138999/138102_93_full.jpg

And here is a good thread on it:

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87673&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

I can't tell you what kind of gains I got from doing it because I did heads, cam, intake, and headers all at once....but I guess every little bit helps

if its a stock motor and your going to port and polish your heads all your going to get out of it is a sore arm. the only way you will get any more power is if you have a 1/4 mile car and you rebuild it every race haha. good luck man let me know how the intake turns out

Rosscup,

Name your source for your information.

I have been building street, and race cars for many years now, and there is ALWAYS more power to be gotten out of porting heads, intakes, and exhaust manifolds.

How does having a '1/4 mi. car' make it the only thing worthwhile to do this mod? Even in our application (low rev, hi torque, heavy SUV) porting will definitly make a difference. from a flatter torque curve that will start sooner, to more hp in the higher RPM range.

It's time for someone to go back to school.

Ryan

I'm with Ryan on this one -- upping the volumetric efficiency of an engine by porting and/or port matching the parts is never a bad deal. The factory ought to have done it from the start, and likely would have, except the bean counters say "leave well-enough alone..."

Also, it will up your mileage if you keep your foot out of it. More efficiency = better mileage. More throttle application, even with better efficiency = lower fuel mileage.

if its a stock motor and your going to port and polish your heads all your going to get out of it is a sore arm. the only way you will get any more power is if you have a 1/4 mile car and you rebuild it every race haha. good luck man let me know how the intake turns out

Hey retard. when you start learning things about motors, and how to build power in motors, then you can start talking.... Untill then, why dont you just shut the f**k up. I think my 2 year old daughter knows more about motors than you if you think porting and polishing heads doesn't do **** for performance

Back