Possible repairs made to the vehicle before dealership delivery | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible repairs made to the vehicle before dealership delivery

I just bought a brand new 2017 Sport, and test drove it on a cloudy day, bought later that night. I drove the Quartz on a test drive, and decided on white. instead of the Quartz. When I went back at night, I drove the car, but did not look it over that well. On day 3 in the sunlight, I did not notice a small dent on the front driversdoor, with a paint flaw next to it. .................................... I never thought i would ever pay this much for a vehicle and regret buying it. Any words of advice out there from anyone?

thanks,
Nick
Welcome to the Forum Nick.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one on a similar issue. As you can see, you are not alone with this unpleasant experience. The Warranty Guide states that you have 7 days from delivery to you to have the dealer repair/fix any issues. Even if you are over that period I think a reputable dealer would look after you and do what is necessary to put it in 'like new' condition. A switch to the Quartz Explorer would likely be an expensive move since your vehicle is now technically a "used or previously owned" one.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a brand new 2017 Sport, and test drove it on a cloudy day, bought later that night. I drove the Quartz on a test drive, and decided on white. instead of the Quartz. When I went back at night, I drove the car, but did not look it over that well. On day 3 in the sunlight, I did not notice a small dent on the front driversdoor, with a paint flaw next to it. Over the weekend I waxed the car, and it quickly became obvious that something happened to my 50K car! I noticed the following

- the dent and paint flaw looked different than the other sections of the car in bright light
- There is overspray above the area in question, as well as on the top window rail where it meets the roof.
- The doors on the driver side need to be pushed harder than those on the passenger side
- There is a separate patch of significantly rough paint about 2"x2" on the rear driver door, almost seems like a glob that was reapaired.
- The doors are out of alignment from a gap perspective - wide at top, narrow on bottom, and vice versa on the other side.

When I took it to my dealer, everyone that looked at it agreed something happened, The body shop manager agreed the doors were out of alignment and someone touched it up. His opinion was this happened at the factory and it was repaired there. he said they do a great job building cars, but not so good repairing flaws. They are going to keep it tonight, take the door panels off and look behind them to see what is going on. I am assuming they will fix all of this under warranty, as it only has 350 miles on it now. Honestly, I want the quartz one i drove, but that wont happen. This car feels like a dark cloud and not a good way to start off as a happy owner.

this whole thing makes me sick. I never thought i would ever pay this much for a vehicle and regret buying it. Any words of advice out there from anyone?

thanks,
Nick

Normally new cars do not have dents, paint flaws or out of alignment doors. In my opinion you bought a used car and all of this should have been disclosed, because if you sold it you would probably have to do the same. What do you think you could sell your Explorer for now? Whatever price you come up using an acceptable method, maybe Kelley Blue Book, etc., should be subtracted from what you paid and the dealer should write you a check for the difference or they should give you a full refund and sell the vehicle with the proper disclosure. Generally speaking a new car takes a large hit on price as soon as it leaves the lot.

Normally new cars do not have dents, paint flaws or out of alignment doors.....
I agree that 'normally' new cars do not have these issue but there are always exceptions. There are many posts in the forum from members of 'new' Explorers with some of those issues you mentioned. Mine was new and the driver's door is slightly out of alignment by about 1/8". The dealer offered to fix it but I decided to live with it for now. They made a note of it on my file. I don't doubt that the factory attempted to fix the paint issue since they state right in the Warranty Guide that they will attempt to repair any damage before shipping a vehicle out. The OP of this thread had the same issue.

Peter

Just tell them that you pay for a brand NEW vehicle, not for one that need work and your vehicle has "diminished value" compared to a "good" one
See what they would want money wise to put you in the quartz one.
Maybe is low enough that it would be worth it for you
Please let us know

Diminished value is a term used for when you are in an accident and you lose a significant value on the vehicle. Having a blend issue or small dent that can be pulled out is not going to cause any value loss. It is no different then if it was repaired correctly at the factory (a repair is a repair).

Issues at the factory happen every single day, you would be surprised at how many have to have issues fixed yet it doesnt affect the value.

A nice repaint will take care of the blemishes and he will be on his way.

I agree that 'normally' new cars do not have these issue but there are always exceptions. There are many posts in the forum from members of 'new' Explorers with some of those issues you mentioned. Mine was new and the driver's door is slightly out of alignment by about 1/8". The dealer offered to fix it but I decided to live with it for now. They made a note of it on my file. I don't doubt that the factory attempted to fix the paint issue since they state right in the Warranty Guide that they will attempt to repair any damage before shipping a vehicle out. The OP of this thread had the same issue.

Peter

Nick had a choice of two vehicles, both were represented as new with no damage or blemishes. I think he deserves more than dealer patch job. Also Peter, Nick purchased the vehicle and will have to live with it. I assume your vehicle was leased and Ford will eventually have to live with it, but an alignment should be a very easy fix. I'm not saying Nick's issues cannot be fixed, but it's more about principle and misrepresentation.

Diminished value is a term used for when you are in an accident and you lose a significant value on the vehicle. Having a blend issue or small dent that can be pulled out is not going to cause any value loss. It is no different then if it was repaired correctly at the factory (a repair is a repair).

Issues at the factory happen every single day, you would be surprised at how many have to have issues fixed yet it doesnt affect the value.

A nice repaint will take care of the blemishes and he will be on his way.

Not really:
Inherent Diminished Value: This refers to the loss of value of an automobile that remains after it is completely and professionally repaired. It is the loss of value that results from the simple fact that the vehicle has been repaired. This type of diminished value is also known as “stigma damage.” Given two identical vehicles on a car lot, the one never damaged is preferable to the one that has been damaged and repaired.

Obviously the principle is very clear, the real question is how much value the vehicle loose.

Nick had a choice of two vehicles, both were represented as new with no damage or blemishes. I think he deserves more than dealer patch job. Also Peter, Nick purchased the vehicle and will have to live with it. I assume your vehicle was leased and Ford will eventually have to live with it, but an alignment should be a very easy fix. I'm not saying Nick's issues cannot be fixed, but it's more about principle and misrepresentation.

What does a lease have to do with it? One still makes payments and many people who lease decide to buy it out which makes a lease negligible. I understand Peter does change his vehicles often BUT that is not always the case with people so that statement isn't necessarily true.

Not really:
Inherent Diminished Value: This refers to the loss of value of an automobile that remains after it is completely and professionally repaired. It is the loss of value that results from the simple fact that the vehicle has been repaired. This type of diminished value is also known as “stigma damage.” Given two identical vehicles on a car lot, the one never damaged is preferable to the one that has been damaged and repaired.

Obviously the principle is very clear, the real question is how much value the vehicle loose.

A damaged vehicle does not make it a "used" vehicle and when the factory fixes them as they do get damaged, it will not cause any value lost. Now I completely agree it should have been fixed properly the first time and not put the customer through the hassle of dropping it off for a fix BUT there is nothing that states it will be worth anything less then what it would be not being fixed. They are not replacing body panels or parts. I paintless dent removal (happened on my 11) and a repaint of a fender or door is not going to cause value loss.

Sorry but man some people just like to reach for things.

What does a lease have to do with it? One still makes payments and many people who lease decide to buy it out which makes a lease negligible. I understand Peter does change his vehicles often BUT that is not always the case with people so that statement isn't necessarily true.

It was comment specifically addressed to Peter, whom in past practice turns his vehicles in when the lease is up or with very few miles on the vehicle.

Not really:

It's kind like an open box buy at an electronics store, the product is discounted. If everything had been disclosed I would be willing to bet they would have offered a discount of some sort. Now that it's been misrepresented I think the dealer should step up to the plate. When I buy a new car, I want a new car, not a car that has been repaired.

So, an update. I took delivery of a brand new replacement vehicle tonight! Same color, 401A package (old one had that too), and now a sunroof which I did not have before. I called my dealer this morning and told them I no longer wanted that vehicle because I did not pay $50K for a "factory refurbished" Explorer. Surprisingly so, they said they would try to put me into something else and were very agreeable. I thought i would have a fight on my hands. Unfortunately, they had to tack on an extra 1500 for the moonroof which I actually did not want. They contacted the Ford District Manager, and Ford will be taking my original vehicle back. I wonder if they will destroy it? Mechanically it was fine, but not my problem now!

The dealer was great, and Ford was great! I probably could have gotten more off the vehicle and could have been a jerk, but all I wanted was to sleep through the night again. This has had me so upset that I was losing tons of sleep, and all parties are happy now. Based on the feedback I have gotten here, i think I had this right under my warranty.

thanks all for the great advice!
nick

So, an update. I took delivery of a brand new replacement vehicle tonight! Same color, 401A package (old one had that too), and now a sunroof which I did not have before. I called my dealer this morning and told them I no longer wanted that vehicle because I did not pay $50K for a "factory refurbished" Explorer. Surprisingly so, they said they would try to put me into something else and were very agreeable. I thought i would have a fight on my hands. Unfortunately, they had to tack on an extra 1500 for the moonroof which I actually did not want. They contacted the Ford District Manager, and Ford will be taking my original vehicle back. I wonder if they will destroy it? Mechanically it was fine, but not my problem now!

The dealer was great, and Ford was great! I probably could have gotten more off the vehicle and could have been a jerk, but all I wanted was to sleep through the night again. This has had me so upset that I was losing tons of sleep, and all parties are happy now. Based on the feedback I have gotten here, i think I had this right under my warranty.

thanks all for the great advice!
nick

Very glad to hear that it turned out well and most importantly that you are sleeping again!

Also, my guess is that they will not destroy the Explorer that you turned in, but will have to sell it as used vehicle because it left the lot and changed ownership. They will probably disclose what occurred with the vehicle and someone will probably get a good deal on buying a barely used Explorer with repaired blemishes, etc.

Back