The worst thing that's ever happened to me | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The worst thing that's ever happened to me

Redwolf21

Reaction score
City, State
White bear lake
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ford explorer St
Hey guys ,
New to this forum however I wanted to vent share and hopefully find some good advice and resources.
2020 Ford explorer St in February of 2020, loved it from the get-go till about 2000 miles when I started noticing a slight shimmy or shake. I took it in around 6,000 miles when I noticed my tires were wearing unevenly. As gradually the shaking got worse.did a bunch of research and figured out that it's possible for vehicle to be delivered brand new with wheels that are not perfectly aligned or balanced so I brought it in had them check and sure enough both the tires and and alignment were off and needed adjustment I leave thinking this is great it's going to be fixed. Boy was I wrong, over the last year this Ford explorer st is on its third set of tires, it's been on a rack three times for alignment about to go in the fourth time today it's been to the dealership more than six times and at least six other independent Auto service in the meantime not including wheels and tires which in itself has been an absolute nightmare. I called the lawyer they won't do a buyback because every time I bring it in to Ford they stated they can't duplicate customer complaints I brought it in last week and had one of the sales tax tell me it's really messed up that you've got new tires and they're all messed up and that I should probably bring it in to have a whole new suspension put on . Meaning four corners springs and upgradedsway bar. He says that should fix it as I laugh at him I'm only at 4500$ in tires at this point might as well spend that on the suspension too just to get it the way it should be. Now that's just one end of it weird suspension so unusual sag and gas or breaking questionable safety.

I've had p codes pulled six of them pertaining to slipper clutch or converter reset that it acted fine for a little bit right back to it but it never stopped taking never stopped squeaking my truck has had squeaking since the day I bought it. All the while the service manager at one point at a dealership infered that I was crazy. And I even thought it maybe I was at some points but realistically although I still stand behind what I love about it it has literally been the worst thing that's ever happened to me financially. I tried to trade it in at one point realizing that it was worth more than $20,000 less then I paid for it less than 10 months prior. So here I sit with 35,556 mi on my brand new 2020 St and I've had literal nightmare. I'm afraid to drive it to break the 36,000 mi powertrain warranty I literally had to buy another car just to leave this thing so it wouldn't shake the tires off it has been a absolute pile of s*** in terms of quality ride quality customer service Ford doesn't care isn't proactive about fixing mistakes that a lot of people are having and they're just going to stick it to their customer I can't hire a lawyer because they mark at the service center on the paperwork can't duplicate customer complaints and I can't sell the piece of s*** either.

Now that you've heard me rant and rave, honestly I typed this short version there was a lot more stuff that had happened and the time transmission shift issues radio interface issues including blank black screen while reverse. The other thing that I would love to mention is the passive yet not passive fight it the entire drive with your hands on the wheel Lane keep system it is the worst on a long drive my arms shoulders neck and back ache but in the system it wants to pull left driving right down the road hugging the center median line is possible and when I center it it wants to pull me right back over again I turn the system off and it still has passive control. What a pile of garbage as I sit waiting for a local auto service repair shop to open hints help resources you all and I appreciate you letting me vent hopefully something good will come from it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard. You should post in the 6th gen forum as they can give you better feedback than posting in the new member forum.

Hey guys ,
New to this forum however I wanted to vent share and hopefully find some good advice and resources.
2020 Ford explorer St in February of 2020, loved it from the get-go till about 2000 miles when I started noticing a slight shimmy or shake. I took it in around 6,000 miles when I noticed my tires were wearing unevenly. As gradually the shaking got worse.did a bunch of research and figured out that it's possible for vehicle to be delivered brand new with wheels that are not perfectly aligned or balanced so I brought it in had them check and sure enough both the tires and and alignment were off and needed adjustment I leave thinking this is great it's going to be fixed. Boy was I wrong, over the last year this Ford explorer st is on its third set of tires, it's been on a rack three times for alignment about to go in the fourth time today it's been to the dealership more than six times and at least six other independent Auto service in the meantime not including wheels and tires which in itself has been an absolute nightmare. I called the lawyer they won't do a buyback because every time I bring it in to Ford they stated they can't duplicate customer complaints I brought it in last week and had one of the sales tax tell me it's really messed up that you've got new tires and they're all messed up and that I should probably bring it in to have a whole new suspension put on . Meaning four corners springs and upgradedsway bar. He says that should fix it as I laugh at him I'm only at 4500$ in tires at this point might as well spend that on the suspension too just to get it the way it should be. Now that's just one end of it weird suspension so unusual sag and gas or breaking questionable safety.

I've had p codes pulled six of them pertaining to slipper clutch or converter reset that it acted fine for a little bit right back to it but it never stopped taking never stopped squeaking my truck has had squeaking since the day I bought it. All the while the service manager at one point at a dealership infered that I was crazy. And I even thought it maybe I was at some points but realistically although I still stand behind what I love about it it has literally been the worst thing that's ever happened to me financially. I tried to trade it in at one point realizing that it was worth more than $20,000 less then I paid for it less than 10 months prior. So here I sit with 35,556 mi on my brand new 2020 St and I've had literal nightmare. I'm afraid to drive it to break the 36,000 mi powertrain warranty I literally had to buy another car just to leave this thing so it wouldn't shake the tires off it has been a absolute pile of s*** in terms of quality ride quality customer service Ford doesn't care isn't proactive about fixing mistakes that a lot of people are having and they're just going to stick it to their customer I can't hire a lawyer because they mark at the service center on the paperwork can't duplicate customer complaints and I can't sell the piece of s*** either.

Now that you've heard me rant and rave, honestly I typed this short version there was a lot more stuff that had happened and the time transmission shift issues radio interface issues including blank black screen while reverse. The other thing that I would love to mention is the passive yet not passive fight it the entire drive with your hands on the wheel Lane keep system it is the worst on a long drive my arms shoulders neck and back ache but in the system it wants to pull left driving right down the road hugging the center median line is possible and when I center it it wants to pull me right back over again I turn the system off and it still has passive control. What a pile of garbage as I sit waiting for a local auto service repair shop to open hints help resources you all and I appreciate you letting me vent hopefully something good will come from it.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you check your Warranty Guide you will see that the Powertrain Warranty is 5 years, 60k miles. Anytime you see uneven tire wear, the alignment should be one of the first things to have checked. if you've had to have it aligned 3 and now possibly 4 times, I would think that would be evidence that something is wrong and that they have not been able to fix it. I would think that may qualify it for the Lemon Law.

Peter

Have you taken it to a non-dealer shop that ONLY does alignments and suspension?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you check your Warranty Guide you will see that the Powertrain Warranty is 5 years, 60k miles. Anytime you see uneven tire wear, the alignment should be one of the first things to have checked. if you've had to have it aligned 3 and now possibly 4 times, I would think that would be evidence that something is wrong and that they have not been able to fix it. I would think that may qualify it for the Lemon Law.

Peter
Thanks Peter I have contacted lawyer in which they declined saying that there wasn't anything fixed and every time I talk to forward they just give me the runaround everything's fine they say I'm sitting in front of an independent shop as we speak waiting to go in I'm kind of excited to see but these guys find cuz this is the third time that's happened my independent shop picked up the slack and eventually after so much is gone wrong Im going to sue the living schNikes out of them. I've never wanted to sue anyone in my life but I want to sue Ford. My average retail monthly on this thing is well into the 1500$s not including insurance gas or anything else I did call Ford yesterday and I had an option to file for a lemon law buyback I declined due to my desire to speak with a lawyer and see what they said.and then called them yesterday and she basically told me I didn't have a case because nothing has been fixed every time I go in there the dealer says can't duplicate can't duplicate can't duplicate and that omits any issues apparently. But eventually the proof is going to stack up and they are going to $ pain and suffering and damages and all sorts of stuff on top of it. I feel like my life has been cursed since I took over this red beast. But thatdoesn't have to be negative I guess where I'm seeing right now has been
Have you taken it to a non-dealer shop that ONLY does alignments and suspension?

If they offered you a buyback and you didn’t take it you HAVE made a huge mistake. Legally, they owe you no more recourse than that.

Good luck.

I agree with Mbrooks. You should have taken advantage of their Lemon Law Buyback offer. The fact that the dealer hasn't been able to 'fix' an obvious alignment issue in multiple visits should improve the buyback chances. Personally, I believe a lawyer should only be involved as a last resort.

Peter

Have you tried taking it to a different deanship not affiliated with the one you bought it from? Not all service departments are the same. I assume that your in White Bear Lake MN and if so you should have some to choose from. I bought mine in Apple Valley but have mine serviced in Eau Claire WI. Good luck with it.

Did I read your original post right. Over 35,000 miles in less than 10 months? Is that correct?

Did I read your original post right. Over 35,000 miles in less than 10 months? Is that correct?
Since it was clearly stated twice, I’d say yes.

Looks like MN Lemon Law is 2 years with no mileage restriction so you should still have a case as long as everything is documented.

A lot can happen to a vehicle in almost 36k miles, so I don’t think it’s still your “ brand new Explorer”. It’s also strange that a dealer can’t duplicate the problem if it’s so clearly obvious to you. Even the lawyer seems to agree there may be nothing they can identify to fix. Why would you wait to the absolute last minute to get this resolved?

- If they offer you any option for a lemon law return I would snap it up ASAP.
- You complained about what you would lose by dumping it now, but have to realize that you now have a nearly 2 year old vehicle with 36k miles. Cars depreciate and you can’t avoid that.
- Go online and offer your Explorer to the buying services (KBB, Vroom, etc.), or take it to a Carmax and get a price. Just dump it now and cut your losses. If the problem is so subtle that a Dealer can’t see it, then maybe nobody else will mind.
- You are already spending money on a 2nd vehicle just to keep this going. Cut your losses and move on.

If you have a print out with alignment specs out of range then nothing needs to replicated, it is documented. Bring all of you records to another dealership.

Hey guys ,

I feel the same way about my 2020 Explorer. When I go to sleep at night I pray that someone will steal it. Complete junk!

Ford has ruined the reputation they used to have...

My 98 Explorer V6 only had to have an Alt., Water pump and intake gasket (+ maintenance items -- understandable) replaced in 200k.

My 04 Explorer has had the transmission rebuilt @ 75k and several other fixes but still going at 120k with constant maintenance.

Our 10 Fusion started having tranny issues at 50 - 60k. their stupid cap less gas tank keeps the idiot light on for a slight air leak.

We were looking into a 20 Explorer but research showed tranny issues. I have not and will not buy another Ford because of horror stories like this...

I feel the same way about my 2020 Explorer. When I go to sleep at night I pray that someone will steal it. Complete junk!
Leave the keys in it long enough, it’ll happen.

Hey guys ,

Sorry to hear your issues redwolf. Thats super disappointing seeing as how I love the 2020 ST. Too bad you cant claim lemon law. Sounds like someone was "high" at the ford plant while doing your alignment. (Lol, but really not funny) can you have another shop duplicate the problems? I wonder if that will help you in your fight at the dealer (who btw, sounds like a real POS)

Ford has ruined the reputation they used to have...

My 98 Explorer V6 only had to have an Alt., Water pump and intake gasket (+ maintenance items -- understandable) replaced in 200k.

My 04 Explorer has had the transmission rebuilt @ 75k and several other fixes but still going at 120k with constant maintenance.

Our 10 Fusion started having tranny issues at 50 - 60k. their stupid cap less gas tank keeps the idiot light on for a slight air leak.

We were looking into a 20 Explorer but research showed tranny issues. I have not and will not buy another Ford because of horror stories like this...
Can have issues with any car. Ford guy for 50 years but recently: 97 Taurus that was problematic, 00 Merc. Sable problem free for 15 years, 12 Fusion, never anything but maintenance, 18 Fusion, same thing 15 Escape had some early issues but dealer took care of everything. Perhaps it helps that I go in with the TSB in hand and we still have that car . Alot depends on the dealer though and I believe that is the biggest issue many people have, and now a 21 Explorer XLT, to new to say ( 800 miles on it at this point) but I have a good feeling about it. I hate to say that many problems are early build date cars and I would stay away from early build cars with any brand. I also have a Mustang that has been problem free, the only work that I do is maint. and mods. and not so much of that anymore.
Remember the golden words , there is a service dept. behind every dealership for a reason.

Hey guys ,

find a lawyer that does lemon law and lemon law only. Document all the stuff you’ve written. He or she will take your case and can collect their fees from Ford and I think you win easily.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys ,

Try calling Rochelle at Ford. She was very helpful in us getting our 2020 ST buyback started.

Ford Motor Company ®
Customer Experience Specialist– SUV Team
Rochelle Bankston
CXS/rbankst2@ford.com | www.ford.com
8AM-4:30PM CST
Office: 866-631-3788 ext. 79460

Back