Possible something gasket leak on 92 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible something gasket leak on 92 EB

luvmyjaithyn

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie B
Hello!!

I want to say first, thank you for any advice/help as I have no idea on how any of these parts work and this forum always helps me out. I love my truck and hope I can save her. : )

Okay so here is the problem. I went to Walmart for an oil change and for the second time, they are saying I have a blown gasket. I had a car man change my oil in between these times and he didnt think that was the case but yet again they are telling me the same thing.

Why am I concerned? Well, I had the radiator replaced (too much gunk in old one), water pump (broke on me), thermostat (just in case) and new coolant put in. I had the pressure tested at a shop and my cap is good. My temp needle is moving like crazy. She will not keep still. She is usually at the L in NORMAL then goes down to N or R but usually she's at the L range. I asked the mechanic and he said long as she's not hitting the H. Well even I know then it's too late.

But back to the oil. Walmart said someone probably thought I needed more oil and put too much in there. That blew my gasket (hopefully not head but not sure if oil pan). Any suggestions and are these issues even related? She drives good but does sound like she's frustrated (engine sounds a little louder than usual). No white smoke, I was told oil is on my valve covers (sp?) and Wally said oil is leaking like crazy but I don't see it under the truck.

Please help or at least let me know what to look for/ask if I need to take her in for another diagnostic test. Thanks!!!!

Take it to a reputable shop,not walmart. Too much oil will NOT cause a head gasket to fail. You could see coolant in the oil, or a combustion leak into the cooling system with a bad head gasket, or cracked head. Overheating can be the cause/or symptom of this.Eiher way, Why would you believe a walmart mechanic anyway? Take it to a reputable shop for diagnosis if there is a problem(even if you want to fix it your self).

Back