Possible to add auto/dual zone to XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to add auto/dual zone to XLT?

Jammer369

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
07' Explorer V8
I just bought a 07' XLT. Do you think it is possible to add a dual zone auto AC system to replace the manual system. I am sure it is not as simple as pulling out the control heads and switching with one from a salvage yard out of a totaled explorer. How much do you think is required to replace (second blower, etc.). I don't know if the duct work is even close to the same.

Thanks,
Troy

I've read some posts by others who have wanted to do the same. To convert to a automatic, electronic climate control would mean having to convert the vacuum-controlled system to electric. Not very fun, I'd imagine. (I don't know how it's set up on the '07, though.)

Ok, I also have a similar dilema. i own a '06 explorer Eddie bauer ( i thought eddie bauer meant lots of options, NOT!!), but it did not come equipped with a rear (on the roof vents) AC. it does have the vents for the second row seats that comes in the center. now, i've seen eddie bauers that have the roof vents. there's even a fan control switch right by the moonroof.
I have search for a way to do this all over the great google ocean. no luck. can someone share some info on this ? is it just a matter of getting the extra fan switch and some ducts or do i need an extra condenser or even compressor ?

I only need the AC part of the equation since i plan to ship this truck to the caribbean. no need for heat but lots of need for AC.

the factory extra charge for this option is only $650 when u order vehicle new, wich leads me to belive is probably just the extra vents..

If this is doable i'll turn it into a "how to" with pics and everything.

Back