Possible to Supercharge the 3.7L Engine? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to Supercharge the 3.7L Engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been watching/reading the Forum as I search for a PIU to purchase. I saw this thread and wasn't sure if anyone had seen the Mustang 3.7 with the GT500 blower adapted for it. Assuming you could do something similar to the PIU and guessing there is more height in the explorer than a mustang for hood clearance.
GT500 Supercharger Adapter kit: Tom Morana Racing Engines
Video: https://www.fordnxt.com/news/crazy-gt500-blower-swap-on-a-3-7-liter-v6-mustang/
3.7%20c.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Make sure to check out the Kickstarter for the TORQAMP electric supercharger...

Any update? And if not, aside from the engine, what would be needed to do the 3.5 eco boost swap?

Any update? And if not, aside from the engine, what would be needed to do the 3.5 eco boost swap?
Ecoboost swap would probably require new ecu and other modules, maybe a tranny and various coolers/intercooler and I don’t even want to think about al the tiring differences. Seems like adding exhaust manifold and custom turbos with a custom tune might be cheaper route vs finding and replacing all the 3.5 ecoboost parts and doing a full swap.

I still like the idea of the GT500 blower. Too bad you can’t easily 5.0 swap from an f150 with 4wd if I’m dreaming here!

I don't think there is going to be much aftermarket support for development/conversion of the 3.5\3.7 NA. Just because the Explorer is not considered a performance enthusiast market like the Mustang. Those who want performance will go for an Explorer with the turbo and upgrade from there. Since the OEM offers decent factory performance (3.5TT) there will not be a big void for the aftermarket to supply.

I'm sure it can be done but it would not be cost effective verse starting with a factory 3.5TT. The wiring and programming is very intergrated into the vehicle and that is where you will be spending a lot of time on.

Back