Possible tranny problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible tranny problem

Mine was doing that up until last week when the tranny gave out completely...the 2nd tranny in a 99 XLT. I had the tranny flushed months before which didn't help the slipping problem.

I am in the process of installing the 3rd tranny. I just paid it off 2 months ago!!!

Great!...Well, I guess after this long with no real abnormal problems to speak of, it's been a good truck. Even though it's in mint condition, other than the tranny, dash lights, windshield, seat recline leaver, tires, ok..better change that to good condition, it looks as though I couldn't fetch more than about 3 or 4 grand for it at best. Having said that, I guess I should just fix or replace the tranny. Any chance you could tell me what kind I would be looking for? 97 XLT 4.0L automatic TM. Also, I am by no means a mechanic (gee how could ya tell), however, I wouldn't be shy of tackling a swap on my own with the help of some of the instructions I have found. I'm just sure my budget wouldn't be there to have a shop do it, although having a real mechanic would be the way to go.

Thanks,

Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess not many have much to say about this topic.

Anyways, I think i will be trying to sell me EX as soon as i receive my title which hopefully is within the next week or so. I am not going through the hassle of fixing this transmission and hoping it comes out good.

You definitely need a tranny. I just went thru the same thing with mine. All the same symptoms, and then light came on, on the way down to Fla. Made it but the tranny was shot and had about 125k. That's about all the life you can generally expect out of them. Replaced the tranny in 95 Sport at about the same time.

You definitely need a tranny. I just went thru the same thing with mine. All the same symptoms, and then light came on, on the way down to Fla. Made it but the tranny was shot and had about 125k. That's about all the life you can generally expect out of them. Replaced the tranny in 95 Sport at about the same time.

Funny thing is that i read up on the life of these trannies and it scared me and i still took my chance with it. :mad:

Its just so weird that the tranny is going bad and it runs so good. Shifts perfectly and all.. :headscratch:

The only thing that is different, is that when i put it in "D" or in "R" it takes about a second to read its in gear and then i could take off. I thought that part was actually pretty normal. And i think someone here mentioned it being normal.

I thought the same thing, but I had it checked at a tranny shop and that's the beginning of the end. When the tranny has to spool up before it catches it's actually slipping. The next thing I lost was the overdrive, which was when the O/D light started to flash. I wouldn't give up on the truck, this is my second one, it's got 125k on it, looks and runs great and is going back to Fla on Friday.

I thought the same thing, but I had it checked at a tranny shop and that's the beginning of the end. When the tranny has to spool up before it catches it's actually slipping. The next thing I lost was the overdrive, which was when the O/D light started to flash. I wouldn't give up on the truck, this is my second one, it's got 125k on it, looks and runs great and is going back to Fla on Friday.

Yeah but from what i am gathering there is no point in getting a used tranny. Their life span sucks big time. The only smart way to go would be a rebuilt. I had my last cars tranny rebuilt and i wasnt happy with it 100%.
Someone else replied to this thread saying they changed their tranny 3 times!:eek: thats insane!

you're not going to get $3-4 grand for a 99 Ex with a number of small problems in addition to a trans that slips.

I paid $3500 for a 98 last year in much better condition. That's just what they're going for now with SUVs falling out of favor.

$1500 is more realistic.

125k miles on an automatic transmission is very acceptable. If my transmission dies at 125k miles that would make me happy that it lasted a reasonable amount of miles. Although nothing to boast about. I wouldn't be upset about this (not from a financial standpoint at least;)).

125k miles on an automatic transmission is very acceptable. If my transmission dies at 125k miles that would make me happy that it lasted a reasonable amount of miles. Although nothing to boast about. I wouldn't be upset about this (not from a financial standpoint at least;)).

I sure wish they built these like they did on my 88 Ford 1/2 ton. It's now got 395,000kms on it, has had the motor rebuilt once and is due for another now but the tranny has always held strong. It's been a work truck all it's life on the farm and has pulled camper trailers (19' & 16') several times from Saskatchewan into the BC Rockies and back.

Anyway, as I stated before, this explorer doesn't owe me anything as it's been a good truck. I just didn't want to put anymore mulla into it than I have to at this point. My old half ton can't hold all the kids so in order to do any camping I would have to use the explorer for pulling and I wouldn't be doing that again even with a new tranny. This means we're going to be in the market for a 4 seat half ton in the near future anyway so that would be by by explorer.

Keith

3 times???? That sounds like it wasn't done by a good shop. I have family in the business and it cost me about $2500. The going rate now is somewhere between 3 & 4k. Just keep in mind, you get what you pay for. If you look to save money on a tranny you're going to replace it alot sooner than you should have to.

you're not going to get $3-4 grand for a 99 Ex with a number of small problems in addition to a trans that slips.

I paid $3500 for a 98 last year in much better condition. That's just what they're going for now with SUVs falling out of favor.

$1500 is more realistic.

I never stated that i i wanted that much for it. I woudl be happy with 1600-1800 for it. I will be waiting for the title to arrive so i could put it up for sale.:thumbsup:

3 times???? That sounds like it wasn't done by a good shop. I have family in the business and it cost me about $2500. The going rate now is somewhere between 3 & 4k. Just keep in mind, you get what you pay for. If you look to save money on a tranny you're going to replace it alot sooner than you should have to.
NOT ME! i would never redo a tranny 3 times. I would give up after the 2nd time. Thats just insane. If you look at previous posts, you will see the post i was talking about.
As for me, i dont even want to take the chance on fixing it. I know that there are people out there that would not mind fixing it up but not me. I have sold cars to mechanics before for the price i was asking just because it wasnt costing them anything to fix.

Hopefully i find a buyer for mine.

With the issues i'm seeing on mine this thread scares me... i though i bought a good truck for $700... i mean i expected some issues but didn't think about tranny ones as it ran fine when i bought it off the guy... now i have a cat problem and i can't tell if i'm dealing with a slipping trans.. or lsoe of power cause of the exhaust leak...

Hopefully the tune-up i'm doing this weekend will fix most of it... and then the tranny shop and muffler shop...

Wish me luck guys! ;)

With the issues i'm seeing on mine this thread scares me... i though i bought a good truck for $700... i mean i expected some issues but didn't think about tranny ones as it ran fine when i bought it off the guy... now i have a cat problem and i can't tell if i'm dealing with a slipping trans.. or lsoe of power cause of the exhaust leak...

Hopefully the tune-up i'm doing this weekend will fix most of it... and then the tranny shop and muffler shop...

Wish me luck guy! ;)

Good luck.

The funny thing is that i got into this damn truck KNOWING that the majority of them suffer from bad trannies. My girls mom has one and her tranny went, and i know others with the same problem. Being that i was only going to stay with mine for a short period of time i didnt think too much of it. Now i am stuck.

It will be for sale ASA i get the title in the mail. I am hoping to get $1,600-700 at the VERY least! I have my fingers crossed.

Transmission Vacume Modulator

It sounds like a Transmission Vacume Mudualtor issue.

About two years ago I got a donor tranny and with the help of the VB rebuild diary and the guidance of a lot of good people on this forum, I did the valve body on the donor an did the removal and replacement myself. Still runs well. Well, a few oddities but nothing to lose sleep over. I may have been on a lucky streak at the time but I'd do it again on our 97 Ex with nearly a quarter million miles on it, about 30k of them on this second tranny.
Joe

Back