Possible transmission vacuum line issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible transmission vacuum line issue?

Reaklw1973

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello,

Recently I replaced the lower thermostat housing (LTH) on my 2004 Ford Explorer Sprot Trac (4.0 SOHC engine). I followed a great website that took me step by step.

However after getting this finished, I have a yellow engine light and the transmission is shifting a little harder than usual.
If you check out step 5, picture #2 at the link below, you can see I had to unhook a vacuum line to make room for other hose removal (All to remove the LTH).

http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/remove-thermostat-disconnect-sensors.php

I am thinking this line is a transmission vac line, and it is making the shifting a little off now that I messed with it. That's the running theory anyway. But I can't seem to follow where it goes, and I can't find a good diagram or pic that tells me for sure what the vac line is.

I checked trans fluid, clean but I did need to fill it a bit to get in the cross hatch. Still shifting a little hard.

Could this vac line be the culprit?

Any help would be appreciated. :salute:

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your 04 shouldnt have a trans fluid dipstick its filled and checked thru the pan.. you probably were low on engine oil and just added trans fluid to it

Second trans has no vacuum lines what so ever

U more than likely have an engine issue with a misfire or vacuum leak since you are getting a check engine light and not a overdrive flashing...use scanner and check code

Thank you for your reply Drew76924.
However, I would like a second opinion.

Thank you for your reply Drew76924.
However, I would like a second opinion.

I'll second what Drew said, tranny has no vacuum lines going to it. 2 years ago when my tranny was rebuilt, I spoke to the owner of the transmission shop that did my rebuild and asked him a question regarding vacuum lines going to the tranny, and he told me there aren't any. The engine components have vacuum lines connected to it, but not the transmission/. These transmissions are controlled by the CPU or onboard computer. BTW, the "solenoid pack" aides in shifting and is controlled electronically.

Pull the codes and post them here.

I build tranmissions all day at work and just personally pulled and rebuilt my own mountaineer tranny.. there is no trans oil dipstick and there are no vacuum lines to the trans. You have an engine issue not a trans issue which is self explanatory since you just did motor work and it was fine before the motor work.

Just wanted to point out that the OP mentioned in his post that he has a 2004 Sport Trac, not Explorer...in which case he has a 5r55e transmission that does indeed have a dipstick for checking fluid level. Maybe this will help someone with troubleshooting the issue. :thumbsup:

Reaklw1973 if you post your issue in the 2001-2005 sport trac forum you might get additional inputs that are specific to your truck.

Ronin8002 is correct. It seems I have posted this question in the wrong area, leading to confusion. My fault.

Meanwhile, The code was for the throttle positioning sensor. I had to unplug it when accessing the LTH so I checked into the plug. It seemed dirty so I cleaned it with contact cleaner and made sure the wires were intact. I plugged it in and reset the code by disco the neg battery cable. Reconnected battery and test drove, no more service engine light.

Transmission: The fluid level was a little high so I flushed the trans and used a can of SeaFoam trans. treatment when replacing the ATF. The trans shifts beautifully now.

Thanks to all who commented on this thread, I will be sure to post in the right area next time.

Take it easy!

Back