• Register Today It's free!

92 4.0L Vacuum line "issues"

AZ3008

Reaction score
City, State
Doyle, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I recently needed to climb under the hood because of an engine "lope" - best way to describe it is that it sounded like someone snuck in in the middle of the night and replaced my regular cam with a racing cam. While digging around I ran across a vacuum line that leads.......nowhere.

Since my terminology is probably nowhere near the "proper" terminology (and most likely not acceptable on a public forum!), I've resorted to drawing pictures. Okay, "taking" pictures!

For starters, here's the vacuum hose diagram that I'm going off of. Four hoses coming off Man Vac, right? All of them I've managed to follow to their proper destinations (as far as I can tell, anyway!)

Well, here is what I'm dealing with. I don't call it "octopus" for nothing - there's got to be seven vacuum lines coming off this thing!

The line I'm worried about is the one on the right, that disappears behind the wiring loom and looks like it's going straight to the firewall. The problem is, it ends right behind the loom - it's just a straight piece of rubber hose, about 3" long. Not even long enough to get to the firewall.

If someone with a 92 4.0L "pushrod" engine could take a look at theirs and let me know where the line's supposed to go, I'd really appreciate it! I know it goes "somewhere", because when I pull out the plug I put in it, the engine runs rough, and nearly stalls.

Here and here are two other views of the "stub", showing where it comes to a screaching halt. The green "thing" visible in these pictures is a section of pencil that I cut down and used to plug the hose. All my golf tees are in Oklahoma. :)

Thanks for the help!
Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just checked my 1992 EB Explorer and the stub you show has a rubber cap on it. It is attached to nothing. I suspect that someone lost the original and put the stub of a vacuum hose on and capped it with say a golf tee?

You are in luck, it goes to nothing.

Thanks, BWTGUY, Burgundy! I searched all over, and never ran across that thread. Probably "human error" on my part - if you want a good case of information overload, try and do a search on "vacuum hose", just on this forum! <eek!>

The "pencil fix" is working okay for now, but at some point in time I may just yank the hose section off and squirt some silicon sealer into it. One of those ultra-thin hoses also has a tendency to come out of it's boot, so I need to fix that anyway. That'd be a good time to get both of them in one swell foop.

Okay, so I can stop sweating about that - now I just need to stop sweating! Hey, us Arizona people aren't used to 40-50% humidity!

Lee

Instead of silicone.

im subscribing ill come back and read this later.

...There is also a "Schematics and Diagrahms" stickie at the top of this section that includes vacuum line diagrahms...

...So cal is suffering from the high heat and humidity too of the monsoonal moisture...

...One of my projects for the weekend will be swapping out some more of the plastic vacuum lines with rubber hoses as they are snapping on their own in this heat...:(

Back