Possible? Unlock all doors in Park? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible? Unlock all doors in Park?

MSM0075

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 EB
2002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 AWD

Is it possible to auto unlock all doors when shifting into park rather than the front two doors only? Its a pain when I have multiple passengers and I have to manually unlock the rest of the doors by the switch. We had an Envoy before this and when shifting into park it unlocked all the doors.

I do not have the child lock on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its not that hard just to hit the Unlock button on your door.

as far as I know, you can't change the way it is.

its not that hard just to hit the Unlock button on your door.

Its not hard to do. Even if you were able to pull the handle to let it unlock each door would be better, rather than my passengers moving the unlock switch on their doors prior to pulling the handle when in Park

sounds trivial but I know what you mean...you could even damage the door handle due to the pressure from trying to open a locked door...when passengers don'tknow...you'll just have to remember to hit the unlock button on your door consoe everytime....get into the habit

(I am not responsible for anything that results from this test :) Okay, I pulled the plug from the driver's lock and the only way to control the locks now is by remote.

Sorry, but a button still has to be pushed. There are color-coded yellow wires coming from each locks on my vehicle. You might have to test a door and see which is controlled by the shifter.

I hate outside links for these answers, but have you tried this?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Keyless_Entry_Keypad_FAQ_Ford_Explorer

I think this is what I was looking for too.
Don't apologize for the outside link. It's far better than saying "its not that hard just to hit the Unlock button on your door."

I know I have 2 vehicles that auto-unlock, and it's hard to get used to having to manually unlock. When it doesn't auto unlock and you are used to that, here's what we go through...
- close driver door
- attempt to open rear door
- it's locked, curse
- open driver door unlock
- close driver door
- open rear door

Is it possible to auto unlock all doors when shifting into park rather than the front two doors only? Its a pain when I have multiple passengers and I have to manually unlock the rest of the doors by the switch. We had an Envoy before this and when shifting into park it unlocked all the doors.

Unless the Mounty has a different system then my Explorer (which I doubt), shifting into park doesn't actually unlock the doors like it does on GM vehicles (my mom's Pontiac does the same thing you describe with the Envoy).

The front doors have some kind of mechanism where pulling on the inside handle with the doors locked will unlock the door ... the rear doors don't have this.

It is indeed frustrating when you have people in back, but the only solution I could see is figuring out how the door mechanisms differ and swapping in the parts that force the door to unlock.

I hate outside links for these answers, but have you tried this?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Keyless_Entry_Keypad_FAQ_Ford_Explorer

Code:
1. Turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position.
2. Close all doors, the liftgate and liftgate window.
3. Enter 5�digit entry code
4. Press and hold the 3 � 4. While holding the 3 � 4 press the 7 � 8.
5. Release the 7 � 8.
6. Release the 3 � 4.

I tried this, but I don't get an chirp or anything at all, after releasing the 3|4 key. :(

Code:
1. Turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position.
2. Close all doors, the liftgate and liftgate window.
3. Enter 5�digit entry code
4. Press and hold the 3 � 4. While holding the 3 � 4 press the 7 � 8.
5. Release the 7 � 8.
6. Release the 3 � 4.

I tried this, but I don't get an chirp or anything at all, after releasing the 3|4 key. :(

No go for me either on my 03 Mounty

I couldn't activate/de-activate the auto unlock using the keypad, but I was able to do it using this method:

Auto-lock can also be activated or inactivate by follwing this procedure:

Do steps [1] through [5] (below)within 30 second or you'll have to do it over.If you have to do it over,wait 30 seconds between attempts.
Close all doors securely.
1.Turn the ignition key to ON.

2.Press the power door UNLOCK control THREE times.

3.Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF.

4.Press the power door UNLOCK control THREE times.

5.Turn the ignition key back to ON.The doors should lock and unlock.

6.Press the power door UNLOCK control.The horn should chirp ONCE to confirm successful switching of the autolock system.

7.Turn the ignition switch to OFF.The horn should chirp to confirm procedure is complete.
AGAIN, GOOD LUCK!

However, this doesn't change anything with the back doors. It just enabled/disables the auto unlocking of the front doors. This is likely a safety feature from ford, so that the rugrats don't jump out once you stop. I thought that's what the child locks were for, but I dunno. I believe this has changed in newer cars though, as I believe our Mariner auto-unlocks all doors.

Unless the Mounty has a different system then my Explorer (which I doubt), shifting into park doesn't actually unlock the doors like it does on GM vehicles (my mom's Pontiac does the same thing you describe with the Envoy).

The front doors have some kind of mechanism where pulling on the inside handle with the doors locked will unlock the door ... the rear doors don't have this.

It is indeed frustrating when you have people in back, but the only solution I could see is figuring out how the door mechanisms differ and swapping in the parts that force the door to unlock.

Same here, doors "auto" lock but do not "auto" unlock. The front doors can be opened from the inside locked the backs can't.

you can shut this auto lock off through the 'info cener' hit the setup button, its the 4th or 5th option on the menu.

"AUTOLOCKS=ON" is Default

Why not just disable the automatic locking feature? I hated that my explorer (2002 XLS) would lock the doors when I pulled away so I found in the owners manual how to turn that off. All doors remain unlocked unless I manually lock them with the main control. They also all can be opened by pulling on the inside door handle unless the rear doors child safety switch is engaged.

Why not just disable the automatic locking feature? I hated that my explorer (2002 XLS) would lock the doors when I pulled away so I found in the owners manual how to turn that off. All doors remain unlocked unless I manually lock them with the main control. They also all can be opened by pulling on the inside door handle unless the rear doors child safety switch is engaged.

because we like having the doors locked while driving, we don't like having to manually unlock them.

iirc, if you get a DEI aftermarket alarm (Hornet, viper, auto mate) when you turn the vehicle off the doors auto unlock.

yep... the alarm does that quite easily, just a little blip of 12v to the relay. except in a probe which uses 4.7v to Lock and 12v to unlock. dum Mazda

Back