Post pics of your Beam Shots (HIDs ONLY) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post pics of your Beam Shots (HIDs ONLY)

Im collecting info here and there to make an HID thread (All you need to know) type deal, and I would love to have some beam shots to post in there. Plus I think this would be a nifty thread.

Remember, HIDs only. Any gen X, any style headlights! (Stock, Diamond-Cuts, Projectors, ETC)

(If you do not want your pictures copied into another thread, simply add that to your post; not all pics will be used. Just a few.)

These were my HORRIBLE 6000k eBay HIDs, in my CCFL Halo Projectors:

Just my 10,000k fogs:
2011-01-01184243.jpg

6000k eBay HIDs before aiming:
2011-01-01184302.jpg

Both
2011-01-01184314.jpg

2011-01-01221252.jpg

2011-01-01221600.jpg

The pictures really define the glares mine had for some reason. It wasnt so choppy in person. Now I have a set of 5000k Retro-Solutions Digital HIDs, and its amazing. They still need to be aimed, which I need to figure out how, but its so much better over the eBay kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mcpherson, can you get a pic of the new kit you have? It'd be nice to have a 55w pic in here also.

-Thanks

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

They are Silverstars (not ultras) having them in the fogs makes a huge difference. I wish the HID's worked out better since they are waaaaaaay brighter but the scatter and glare is terrible. Ive heard people have better luck with them in stock housings vs crappy aftermarket ones like mine. I just don't know if the one piece halo projector housings would aim them better or a retrofit would do better. Id rather have working HID's.

Retrofit all the way!

I have the eBay housings, and they just dont even compare to the FX-R retrofits

Here's my horrible beam pattern with 5K DDM Tuning 55W 9007 hi/low kit in some Anzo clear housings. I can't afford projectors so I went back to halogens. I know the OP requested no halogen pics but this is just for comparison purposes.

Wow.... Those Anzo housings have an amazingly good pattern on the halogen bulbs.

Though.... this kind of illustrates why I am always telling people not to put HID retrofit bulbs in stock halogen housings.

Yeah i wish i did more homework first. These are the Azno's i put on. To aim them properly you have to point them away from each other and they dont match the contour of the corner lenses anymore.

032311191027.jpg

I also had to replace my fog housings, they had flood water trapped inside for a long time which clouded the lenses from the inside and rusted the reflector shroud.

Hello I'm Drunk (HID)

Attachments

• 2882630450_74dd869701.jpg
    2882630450_74dd869701.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 480

Yeah i wish i did more homework first. These are the Azno's i put on. To aim them properly you have to point them away from each other and they dont match the contour of the corner lenses anymore.

There isn't any wiggle room with mounting?

jim-beam-flask-2.jpg

I have been wanting to do that ever since Brian started this thread, so bugger it!!!! It is April Fool's!!!

Now that is funny. The Amber color tells me it's a parking light. But how would you attach it to your vehicle? Then the disgusting problem of cleaning the saliva from the lens from people sucking on your parking light would get old real quick.

Haha, I couldn't resist. :D

Does anyone know where to find the aftermarket clear headlights that are smooth on the inside? they might work a little better with the HIDs

Ive looked a few times on eBay but never came across any. I thought the same thing a while back, but figured they never made any.

I swear I thought I seen them one. I guess someone could buy the ones and swtich the lens with factory but thats alot of work. im going to save up for a retrofit with the fx-r projectors but idk how that will look with my brush guard, might mess up that beautiful cut off, lol

Im sure you can tweak them somehow:thumbsup:

Anywho, I would love to get a set of the black housings with smooth reflectors and HIDs,

I swear I thought I seen them one. I guess someone could buy the ones and swtich the lens with factory but thats alot of work. im going to save up for a retrofit with the fx-r projectors but idk how that will look with my brush guard, might mess up that beautiful cut off, lol

Unless it is crossing your lens right at the cut-off shield, it won't mess with your pattern much at all. Don't worry. It'll be good.

Also, a reflector with a smooth back that is designed for halogens isn't gonna work any better than any other compound reflector. Generally speaking, the aftermarket ones with the smooth backs are really just designed for show, and not function anyways....

Mcpherson, can you get a pic of the new kit you have? It'd be nice to have a 55w pic in here also.

-Thanks

No, thank you. I have been needing to take these pictures.
  • FX-R projectors
  • Clear Chrome Headlight Housing's (Ebay)
  • DDM Slim Ballast - 55W
  • Philips 85122+ D2S Bulbs
---
  • Camera: Canon
  • Model: EOS REBEL T1i
  • ISO: 1600
  • Exposure: 1/4 sec (Average)
  • Aperture: 3.5
  • Focal Length: 18mm
  • Flash Used: No
Lows:
IMG_1851.JPG

Lows:
IMG_1848.JPG

Brights:
IMG_1855.JPG

Lows:
IMG_1860.JPG

Brights:
IMG_1858.JPG

These are my 6k HIDs installed on my 07 Mountaineer. I dont think the Mountaineers have the issues the Explorers due with scattering due to the different headlight designs.

l.jpg

Very focused and centralized and I dont have an issue with people flashing high beams or anything.

I definitely need some projectors. Here is what my 5000k HID's look like in the stock housing.

Fogs
1245956556_QdGrH-M.jpg

Fogs/Lowbeam
1245956666_CArHL-M.jpg

Lowbeam
1245956230_2zPFB-M.jpg

Highbeam
1245956333_yX35o-M.jpg

Sadly, those look better than my projectors. I spent about an hour outside last night aiming mine best I could, ended up still looking like isht.

Those look good:thumbsup:

Back