Post rebuild hesitation, rough idle/misfire and codes P0171 and P0340. Lean condition and Cam Sensor???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post rebuild hesitation, rough idle/misfire and codes P0171 and P0340. Lean condition and Cam Sensor????

Betsy98Sport

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Ford Explorer Eddie B
Ford codes

07 Ex 4.0 SOHC. Blown head gasket so I did a full tear down with all new gaskets across the board from the bottom to the top. Both oil pans, heads, and all the other little gaskets in between from the kit. New timing chain kit. Put it all back together and was running like a dream. After going about 600 miles the serpentine belt tour and come to find out I accidentally put on the crank shaft, pulley gear backwards.

Had to remove everything and get down to the timing cover again. 🥵 Oh, I put the timing gear on correctly this time and then had to re-time everything using the timing kit for the 4.0 SOHC. I also redid the O-rings and sleeves for the fuel injectors, since I didn’t do that the first time with the tear down, and noticed that they seemed slightly brittle.

Everything seem to be running great but then wife got stuck somewhere on freeway with engine stuck in a forced idle and cutting off at times. Had to have it towed back home. Got the following codes.

DTC Stored Codes

P0122 - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch (TPS) A Circuit Low Input

P0222 - Throttle/Pedal Position Switch/Sensor B Circuit Low Input

P060B - Internal Control Module A/D Processing Performance

P2104 - Throttle Actuator Control System Forced Idle

P2107 - Throttle Actuator Control Module Processor

P2110 - Throttle Actuator Control System – Forced Limited RPM

P2111 - throttle actuator control stuck open

P2135 - throttle body position sensor

P0068 - Air Assisted Injector Control Circuit High

DTC Pending Codes

P0122 - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch (TPS) A Circuit Low Input

P0222 - Throttle/Pedal Position Switch/Sensor B Circuit Low Input

P060B - Internal Control Module A/D Processing Performance

P2104 - Throttle Actuator Control System Forced Idle

P2107 - Throttle Actuator Control Module Processor

P2110 - Throttle Actuator Control System – Forced Limited RPM

P2111 - throttle actuator control stuck open

P2135 - throttle body position sensor

I pull things apart to get down to what I suspected was wiring since I noticed the wires were brittle around the connectors, and at the throttlebody, and also the EGR connector. Also, I believe I got a misfire code for cylinder 3 at some point, but after erasing codes that one didn’t pop back up.

I then drove it to work. On the way home, it pulled the EGR code P0401, P0303 cylinder 3 misfire and P0171 again but not all the throttle body codes. The EGR seemed to have issues before and the top piece with electronics seemed to spin freely unlike the replacement part. The EGR code was gone and didn’t come back but now theirs a hesitation and what feels like a misfire.

I pulled to end apart again and tested connectors. It’s seemed like there was an unusual amount of resistance in the connectors. I suspected wiring was cross connecting down the line since I found other brittle points. I pulled wiring apart in main harness. There was so much brittle wiring at almost every connector and every point where the wire had to bend on the top end.

I sealed it all over 2 days with liquid electrical tape. Resealed with new tubing and heat resistant tape. I reconnected everything. The rough idle is still there. I also did a test without the cylinder 3 spark plug wire plugged in. There is definitely a spark but when I remove it I don’t see any difference versus reconnecting it. But there’s no misfire code.

Now the only codes are still P0171 - Lean and now P0340 cam position sensor. I went ahead and replaced the sensor. But still the code doesn’t go away.

Sucks because it was running great before I had to pull it apart a second time.

bumpity bump! what are fuel trims like? these did have wire deterioration issues just checking its not the wiring leading to the CPS

bumpity bump! what are fuel trims like? these did have wire deterioration issues just checking its not the wiring leading to the CPS
I have a scan tool but I’m not sure what to look at for fuel trim. I can run live data on my Innova 5610 scanner if that’s what you mean

C76C1DC0-F398-4E2E-9B6B-60DF28FF4269.jpeg
lots of wiring was deteriorated. I repaired all of it by cutting, heat shrinking and soldering ends. That has eliminated the long list of codes but I still have a rough idle and what feels like a misfire but I don’t get a misfire code.

The main code I get is P0171. Sometimes I’d also get P2135 and P0430 after resetting and driving.

I tested fuel injectors resistance. All within spec. 12ohms. Spark plug wires are new and there’s spark going to all cylinders.

When looking at spark plugs, there’s definitely a difference between cylinder 3 and the rest. The rest look clean while 3 has gunk and black on it.

I think I might need to tear down and retime the engine.

Any thoughts?

Back