Power antenna extending and retracting on its own... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power antenna extending and retracting on its own...

dkaiser

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer...

My car has had some (what I can only assume are) electrical problems for a while now, in particular the power windows. Basically, sometimes I cannot roll up or down a window, usually during/after the 4WD lights randomly flash on and off a few times. This problem lasts for a minute or two and all is back to normal. Just recently, the passenger window can only be controlled by the drivers' side switches (this appears to be permanent).

But the most recent issue is something that happened today. Driving down the road, went over a bump and the radio shut off - the power antenna retracted. I tried turning off/on the radio a few times, no avail, and left it off. Stopped, turned off the car, and when I restarted, the radio did not work, and the clock display didn't work either.

I looked at the fuses, all looked normal, and when I started my car again (about an hour later), everything worked fine. However, the tiniest bump in the road, or a turn or anything really, and the power antenna would retract. It would extend randomly after, in as little as 5 seconds to 10 minutes, on its own. I've never had this problem before.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Back