Power Cable for Radar Detector | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Cable for Radar Detector

...and if you're worried about cords and stuff get the solo S2 cordless. It works great, no cords, and you can remove/remount them in seconds and not have to worry about cords!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mountaineergree said:
Ive never had a cop see my radar detector in any of my three vehicles its been in. Ive been pulled over plenty when I was in high school and they never saw it. I just reach up and turn it off while adjusting my mirror. Its black, the factory tint strip is black, and the mirror housing is black. It cant be seen from outside the vehicle at all.

As for crime and break ins, I have no problems. I am at work right now with the keys sitting in the ingition.

haha wow. i guess ur just lucky you dont live in a place with higher crime rates? different strokes for different folks. im glad you dont have to be paranoid about your stuff being stolen. :) kudos to you

spindle- ya thats what i thought, duno how it is in AR for mountaineergree.

blitzk- cordless cant compare to wired detectors

I had a cheap Cobra that I bought, it got stolen, and it was mounted lower.

But I thought if you had the 360* detection, your supposed to mount it somewhere where the radar can see out the front and rear windows. So up at the top wouldn't be a wise spot, right?

As long as the detector has a clear view front & back it will be fine. High, low whatever.

I recently installed my 8500 x50 blue up by my rearview mirror. I tapped into the compass for 12v. Turns on/off with the ignition and you don't see wires.

Being so high it works great for radar, but not that great for laser. I might end up getting VEiL and/or a Blinder M-20....

blitzk where did you get access to the compass power? Is there a connector for it that is accessible or did you have to open up the overhead console. It sounds like a better solution than the auto-dimming mirror power.

Oh and you guys that think you can just take down the radar detector and hide it if you get pulled over... good luck with that. The first thing cops do is watch for suspicious activity inside the vehicle and if they see you reaching around, leaning, etc they know something is up.

Best solution to all of this is one of those Bel remote install units with the tiny display. Then nobody knows you have it.

Jason

The power I got from my auto-dimming mirror is steady and only comes on with the ignition. It was fairly easy to get at too. See the pic in post 11 of this thread.

Al

JasonF said:
blitzk where did you get access to the compass power? Is there a connector for it that is accessible or did you have to open up the overhead console. It sounds like a better solution than the auto-dimming mirror power.

There is a connector on the compass. It has 4 wires. The two for power are on one end. Black with blue stripe (-) and grey with yellow stripe (+). I just pulled the 2 pins from the connector and soldered on a short piece of black telephone cord to it (power plug is an RJ11). Snapped the connector back on the compass and it works great! Turns on when I start the car and doesn't reset when you put it in R (like with the dimming mirror).

^^^^^^^^^
What he said, no muss, no fuss, no unsightly wires, is cake

Back