Power Door Lock Actuator Fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Door Lock Actuator Fix

GeoExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4x4 SOHC
Unlocking my Driver's door turned into permanent trouble. The Remote could open damn door only once in 10 attempts or so. I was told, that Power Door lock Actuator became weak, and since it is non-serviceable part, it should be replaced. Well, I have decided to fix it anyway. Here is the story:

Removal: First remove door trim panel and pull dust shield aside, then the window rail has to be removed. Unscrew one bolt that holds rail in place and pull the rail till it comes out, that’s it. You can leave the rail inside the door. After that you will have good access to actuator.
Attention: DON’T DRILL OUT THE RIVET! Allthough it is written in workshop manual, you don't need to do it, because it just holds the metal clip that keeps actuator in place. First detach the connector at the bottom of actuator, then stick small flathead screwdriver between clip and plastic housing of actuator and unsnap it. The rubber boot is to be sacrificed, but try to keep at least the upper part that covers the “neck” of actuator, as shown in the picture. After that release the actuator hook from the latch and remove it.
Disassembly: The housing consists of two separate parts, soldered together in four clearly visible spots. Take sharp knife (I have used scalpel) and small hammer, and carefully cut all four points by hammering the blade thorough.

Inside the housing you will find three plastic gear wheels and tiny electric motor, it has metal housing and plastic end piece, hold by two bent legs of the housing. Disassembling the motor is fairly easy, but precise job.

Inside of the electric motor was dirty as hell, it was full of black oily substance, which caused short-circuit. I have cleaned everything, then lubricated with one drop of engine oil, tested by applying 12V in both directions and put all together. For the housing I have used four screws of appropriate size (one has mismatching colour for fashioned look!)

IT WORKS!! ;)

One week has gone, and it still works like a charm, not a single failure :thumbsup: (Knockin on Wood!)

actuator hook issues

First, I just wanted to say that your post has come in really handy. I am to the point where i am ready to remove the hook of the actuator from the latch, but it looks like i might damage the latch when i try. My method was to bring the actuator up so i could just pull the hook out, but it looks like the latch is bending when i bring up the latch.

Did you have any problems with that?

I have a 1997 Explorer Sport.

Thanks,
Gerry

I am to the point where i am ready to remove the hook of the actuator from the latch, but it looks like i might damage the latch when i try. My method was to bring the actuator up so i could just pull the hook out, but it looks like the latch is bending when i bring up the latch.

Yeah, there is a white plastic insert, that holds the hook pretty tight. I have sprayed it with some silicone lubricant and then pushed the hook, following it's shape, and it popped out without any problem.

Good luck :)

Back