Power Liftgate does not unlatch/work at all | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate does not unlatch/work at all

Querys

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer Limited
Hello Members,
the Power Liftgate at my Explorer stopped working. Unfortunately the door handle does not work, too. I have manually unlatch the liftgate from the trunk, not funny with installed booster seats in the rear.

I checked all 3 fuses (all okay). The dash button causes the first "ding" of the "3 ding closing sound" without moving the liftgate, same on the button on the liftgate.
The key fob does nothing.

Also noting happend, when pushing any of the 3 buttons (dash, key fob, liftgate button below licence plate).

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure how these work, but in a friends highlander theres a button next to the glove box (bad design imo) that will stop power tail, just beeps and thats it. wonder if theres something similiar with these, not sure. wonder if theres a motor issue or somethng of that nature.

Yes you can disable it in the Cluster. But you will still be able to open the Liftgate manualy on the rear. But this "door handle" is not unlatching the liftgate.

Yes you can disable it in the Cluster. But you will still be able to open the Liftgate manualy on the rear. But this "door handle" is not unlatching the liftgate.
got it. not sure then. is it a handle like on the door? or is it a button, or a latch? sorry, not versed in the >4th gens much

no problem. It is a button that actuates an electric motor, which unlatches the liftgate. But this is not working. But when the latch assy is broken, it should close the Liftgate?
Maybe someone else has this problem too.

i see ;) im of no use here then... hope you get the answer!:D:D:D

I hade the time to look into the trouble codes. The Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) is short to positive, and the fault code comes up right after erasing it. I guess, something is actually wrong. I think I have to remove the rear quarter panel to look at the LTM. Hopefully I will find the issue.

I hade the time to look into the trouble codes. The Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) is short to positive, and the fault code comes up right after erasing it. I guess, something is actually wrong. I think I have to remove the rear quarter panel to look at the LTM. Hopefully I will find the issue.
After you've opened it manually, will it power close? You should only hear chimes when the liftgate begins to close not when you open it.
Good luck in your troubleshooting and please report back. Thanks.

Peter

Okay I got it back to normal.

The LTM has a slight water damage, because it is not sealed or anything. The water was coming from the moonroof because the driver water drainage was clogged.
After heavy rain we already noticed water dripping out of the B-Pillar trim.

Hopefully this is the end of the story.

Thank you for taking the time to report back. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Peter

Thank you for taking the time to report back. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Peter
I’m having a similar issue. My liftgate will open “sometimes” whether it’s with the inside panel button, key fob, or rear button. It will always close with the buttons. But most of time lately it will not open with the buttons. You head it unlocking or engaging the motor. But it doesn’t unlatch and open.

You said water damage. I’m thinking mine bay be feom same thing as my moonroof is not not opening either and I had water pouring in a few months back. It worked fine after that until about a week ago.

So with your water damage, did you just have to clean it all out and unclog the drains? Or install new motors? Since it wasn’t a hard fast dead motor, and they work intermittently.

I’m having a similar issue. My liftgate will open “sometimes” whether it’s with the inside panel button, key fob, or rear button. It will always close with the buttons. But most of time lately it will not open with the buttons. You head it unlocking or engaging the motor. But it doesn’t unlatch and open.

You said water damage. I’m thinking mine bay be feom same thing as my moonroof is not not opening either and I had water pouring in a few months back. It worked fine after that until about a week ago.

So with your water damage, did you just have to clean it all out and unclog the drains? Or install new motors? Since it wasn’t a hard fast dead motor, and they work intermittently.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Clogged water drains usually end up spilling water onto either the front or rear (2nd row) foot wells. If the moonroof isn't opening/closing it could be a bad motor. Does the moonroof shade retract and close? It has a different motor.
As for the liftgate, it sounds like the motor may not be working.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Clogged water drains usually end up spilling water onto either the front or rear (2nd row) foot wells. If the moonroof isn't opening/closing it could be a bad motor. Does the moonroof shade retract and close? It has a different motor.
As for the liftgate, it sounds like the motor may not be working.

Peter
Thank you Peter!~

@Querys What do you think?

Back