• Register Today It's free!

Power Locks Not Working.

A Quiet Boom

Reaction score
City, State
Akron, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96/'99 V8 to V8 EB
I've got a '96 Limited with keyless entry etc. Anyway the power door locks aren't working at all, I've checked the fuses and found none bad, removed the drivers door panel and the wires look fine. The pass. rear door is stuck in the locked position and will not open could this be part of the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other locks would still work even with one stuck. Sounds like it might be more fundemental like no juice. Do other things work like the windows and seats. If so that proves the fuse circuit as they use the same fuses. Could just be a bad main switch cluster perhaps it wants a clean with switch cleaner. You'll have to use a test light to narrow it down. Do the locks work with the switches inside? On the one that's stuck can you pull up the lock button? Can't think of anything else but I'm sure someone will. All the best.

Well, the locks don't work period. The stuck one in the rear can't be pulled up (I'll try pliers next). The switches, the key pad, and the door key when turned twice, none of them activate the power locks. I've checked the fuse no problems there. Everything else works fine except my "OD off" light flashes when driving. That's my next problem to fix. Anyway back to the locks, I had the door panel of the drivers door, all the connections seem fine and the other switches for the windows work fine. On the key pad pressing it does nothing. Could it be the RAP or a relay? where are the relays for the door locks located? The Haynes manual says they are located in relay block 4 but doesn't tell me where it is. My brother is bringing his scanner home over Xmas so maybe I'll find something there.

Update, I disconnected the RAP to no avail. I'm still hunting down the relay so I can test it, anyone able to tell me where it is?

Do your power windows work? If they don't your GEM may be out.

The stuck rear door is probably a bent rod. Check that first before trying pliers....

Power locks work fine, in fact everything is fine except an bad transfer case and no OD. I've traced the OD problem with a codes scanner and it's fixable. Everything else works, power windows, center console computer, rear wiper, auto sensing rearview mirror, it all works. But anything in conjunction with the locks does not. No keypad, no unlock/lock with two turns of the key and no unlock/lock with any of the three switches. Crankcase thanks for the tip about the bent rod, as soon as I get the panel off (with the door closed and the seat in the way) I'll check it. Anyway at this point I'm thinking it's a bad relay but I don't know their location. Oh the transfer case shifts into 4auto, 4low and 2wd no problem (controlled by GEM I believe) it just grinds really bad in 4x4 when applying power on loose surfaces, I believe the chain is at fault on that one. Still hoping someone can tell me where the relays for the door locks are.

TIA

Anyone?

Aux Relay Box #4

My Ford Factory CD says:

Left rear of vehicle, above wheelwell

I wish I could send you the picture, but it is behind the plastic trim in the left (drivers side)rear cargo area.

You should get one of these: Dead Link Removed

I know the one, right near the RAP module. I replace the two large relays in that one to no avail. Seems like I'll have to trace the wiring from the main block back. :(

Back