• Register Today It's free!

Power Locks Unlock Problem

mikeinri

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)
Hi guys,

Did some searching, not finding this. The power locks on my 2004 Explorer starting doing something weird this morning.

The locks are set up from the factory. They lock when you drive, and don't unlock themselves when you stop. Getting out of the truck, I press the power lock button on the driver's side. Usually, that locks all the doors and I'm good to go.

Today, I pressed the power lock button, the locks all locked, but then a few seconds later, they all unlocked themselves! I tried this several times, and it kept happening.

I thought the remote might be causing this (stuck button or something), so I used the remote to lock the doors, and they all locked (and stayed locked).

I then unlocked them and tried the power lock switch on the driver door again, same problem, it locked then unlocked all the doors a few seconds later.

Any ideas?

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the key in the ignition when you locked them? Mine unlocks itself if the key is still in the ignition. Just a thought.

there seems to be a common problem with the wiring going from the door to the body, pull the rubber back and check for bad or frayed wires.

No, the key was in my hand.

I'll try it again later and maybe check the wires.

Mike

alsomake sure rear glass is fully closed have had probs wit mine where it seems closed but doesnt actually latch (even looks closed) untill you go down the road then the locks go off an on and thres a chime

I had the same problem with my 03 XLS.Fixed it by spraying wd-40 into all the door locking mechanisms.Got this from a thread on door ajar light on.Give it a try.

Same with my 02 Eddie Bauer - WD-40 fixed the issue.

Rumple

I had the same problem with my 03 XLS.Fixed it by spraying wd-40 into all the door locking mechanisms.Got this from a thread on door ajar light on.Give it a try.

Forgot to mention in my first post, I did think of the rear hatch and all the other doors. Everything was closed except the driver door.

The problem "fixed itself" or at least, stopped happening. Everything seems to be fine now. :rolleyes:

I may try the WD40 idea, can't hurt anything, right?

Thanks guys.

Mike

Hey Mike mine was doing something similar to yours, and rrdone (told me to check the wires between the door and frame) and rumpledoll's advice with the wd 40, I sprayed first then I checked for broken wires and found 3 between the door and frame. If you pull the wiring harness out of the door, just cut away the tape that holds it on, if you cut to much you will cut the heavy rubber holders that go with the boot between the door (helps hold the boot from moving). I taped it back good maybe it won't come out of the socket. I don't know if this was the fix yet because the wife hasn't driven it very far yet. The day I fixed it I drove it for 30 miles and it worked perfect then all of the sudden the locks would lock and unlock, then the dome light would come on with all the bells and whistle's going off.
Your problem sounds like mine when it first started. This is a great board, with sound advice
Mark

rrdone?

rrgone not done yet! ;)

Hey rrgone, just a little typo.
Thanks
Mark

Back