Power Mirror stopped working on one side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Mirror stopped working on one side

jghake

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1983 F250 HD 4x4
This truck is fairly new (to me at least) and I THINK the passenger power mirror used to move. I'm not sure if this is what caused it to stop working but I was cleaning the front window (bugs) and I bumped the mirror. I tried to adjust it back to normal with the knob on the door panel and it won't budge.

The driver side works just fine.

Should I look into the mirror or the switch first? I'd like to figure this out but so far I don't know where to start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would bet its one of the famous wires in the driver door harnes, between body and door. Mine was dome light wire, dr. side puddle lamp, and passenger mirror. Very common on this body style. Try a search for door harness or something similar on here, theres a few walk throughs on how and what to look for, but really not too hard to figure out once you know where to look.

Like duranged03 said, it sounds like it might be a broken/damaged wire in the boot. Could be the switch or the mirror motor. When I get home tonight I will post the wiring diagram for the power mirrors to help you out in the troubleshooting process.

In the meantime:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. The alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Hope this helps out!! :biggthump

Thanks guys! I took it apart today to find out that the solid yellow wire was broken. A little solder and heat shrink tubing and I'm back in business!!!

7580216274_594e7403bc.jpg

7580226120_71033b6505.jpg

Jghake was that on the drivers side that you took apart my passenger mirrror mysteriously quit working about a week ago and i thought i had a bad motor but will check that 1st.

Jghake was that on the drivers side that you took apart my passenger mirrror mysteriously quit working about a week ago and i thought i had a bad motor but will check that 1st.

Check the driver's side. See my earlier post for instructions on removing the door panel & checking for broken/damaged wires.

Thanks guys! I took it apart today to find out that the solid yellow wire was broken. A little solder and heat shrink tubing and I'm back in business!!!

Nicely done! :):thumbsup:

Yes it was on the drivers side. The yellow wire that goes from the knob on the door to the passenger mirror was the one causing problems for me.

Thanks ill check it early in the morning this weekend since its over 100 here when i get off work

I just bought a 95 Explorer and the power mirror on the passanger side works fine. On the drivers side the mirror only moves to the left and right. The inside control won't move it up or down. Would that possibly be a loose/damaged/broken wire as well? I also have a lot of interior lights that I need to replace. The control for the mirrors doesn't light up. Is it supposed to? Not ever owning an Explorer before I'm not certain though it would make sense that it would.

Back