Power Mirrors arent working properly... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Mirrors arent working properly...

2drXsport

Reaction score
When i use my power mirrors..they turn down, up and left but fail to turn to the right on both sides of the car....does anybody know how to solve this? could this mean a dirty switch??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked to make sure the mirror housing is sitting in its "normal" position. Mine get knocked to the front sometimes by the car wash brushes. It might make a difference in how far the lens will move.

havent checked that.

However i dont think both left and right sideview mirrors would suddenly be knocked out of position...seems kinda fishy to me. i dont want to take the whole mirror out and look at the motors needlessly.

And both motors failing is also remote (no pun intended). It's probably the switch as you said and it might respond to electric contact cleaner and may only set you back $20-$30 at the dealer.
I haven't had any problems with that on my four year old '03 EB.

It's the switch. I recently bought a 2002 Sport and discovered the same trouble as I drove it off the dealer's lot. I went back the next day and they refused to fix it unless I paid for the repair. I bought the switch for $15 and installed it myself without removing the door panel in about 5 minutes. Part number is F5TZ-17B676-A.

It's the switch. I recently bought a 2002 Sport and discovered the same trouble as I drove it off the dealer's lot. I went back the next day and they refused to fix it unless I paid for the repair. I bought the switch for $15 and installed it myself without removing the door panel in about 5 minutes. Part number is F5TZ-17B676-A.
How did you remove the switch without removing the panel? I have a 2000 Explorer.

How did you remove the switch without removing the panel? I have a 2000 Explorer.

The switch has plastic fingers on two sides that spread out to hold it in the door panel. You will see what I mean when you get the switch. I carefully inserted the nail file of my pocket knife under the rim of the switch and pushed the fingers in enough to pull out the switch without damaging the door panel. Just take your time and don't force the switch out and you will be fine. Don't try to use a screwdriver since the round shaft will leave a ding in the door panel. The switch is plugged into a socket. Unplug the old switch, plug in the new one, test the mirror operation, then push the new switch into the door panel.

Great post/explanation Beence !;)

Mirror control switch

Indeed, great explanation. I will try it myself.

Back