• Register Today It's free!

Power Rear Door Lock

jsakabuck

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'09 Limited V-8
I've been having some trouble with the passenger side rear door lock. After searching here without success, I have to open this new thread.

When I bought my '95 XLT last December, the passenger side rear door lock did not work when I used the remote fob or when I used the power lock button. When the button was pressed, all the over locks locked/unlocked, but the rear passenger door did not. It just made a hissing sound. Manually, the lock works fine. My mechanic diagnosed a bad acuator in the door and replaced it in January. Everything worked fine.

Now, just two months after the new acuator was installed, the power lock doesn't work anymore and I'm back to the hissing sound once again.

I hate to spend money again on another new acuator. Do these acuators go bad so quickly? Is there a larger problem I'm missing?

Any thoughts would be helpful before I throw more good money after bad.

P.S. This forum has been a wealth of information for me as a new owner. Many thanks to you all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did You Find Out???

Have you found out what caused the problem. I have the same problem.

is it possible when they hooked up the new actuator they forgot to hook up the wires back to the locking mechanism? :dunno:.

i know when i changed out my lock cylinder i had to reconnect the plastic piec that had wires on it back to the cylinder in order for my power locks to work properly

I appreciate the lead. I'm due for my next oil change in the next month or so and will mention the wires leading back to the locking mechanism. We'll see if that's the ticket. Thanks!

Just wanted to update my original post. I had my Explorer in for the oil change and asked them to look at the rear door lock actuator that they had replaced in January.

Well, I got it back today and they said the Ford Dealer that supplied the original actuator replaced it for free. My mechanic is so awesome, he even did the replacement without charging me labor.

I hope this one lasts longer than the first.

Back