• Register Today It's free!

2000 limited rear door lock.

donnie77340

Reaction score
City, State
huntsville,tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Limited
My Drivers side door lock sticks while trying to unlock,But not when locking. It Does not matter whether i use the switch or the remote,you have to keep tugging on The Lock Pull while "opening" the handle. Any Suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have similiar issue on driver side door with 98 EB. But it sticks when trying to lock. I have to manually lock it. But I can unlock it. I am going to check it once the temprature arises. I suspect it is either the spring or the actuator.

My 99 will not unlock regularly and you can not open the door or unlock it manually. You must unlock it repeatedly until it goes. Pulled the panel and all seems ok so... Potentially dangerous as you cant open the door from the inside either.

My 99 will not unlock regularly and you can not open the door or unlock it manually. You must unlock it repeatedly until it goes. Pulled the panel and all seems ok so... Potentially dangerous as you cant open the door from the inside either.

I believe you are saying that it is difficult to unlock the door. When the door is unlocked the outside and inside handles work as normal. When you had the panel off everything else was in proper place (ie lock actuator isnt busted loose from the rivet and sitting sideways or dangling, rods are all connected). Is this correct?

If so, your problem is either the operating rod that goes from the latch to the door handle, the actuator, or the latch itself.

I suggest you start by pulling the inside panel and try locking/unlocking while pushing up on the operating rod. If that works then you likely have the floppy handle/return spring problem or one of the plastic rod attachments are broken. This is a very common repair. Fixes such as replacing the handle/springs, using a helper spring, or replacing plastic tabs are well covered in the forum search & stickies.

If the operating rod makes no difference, next try disconnecting the power lock actuator to see if you can lock by key. Normally a damaged lock cylinder doesnt bind the rest of the mechanism so if it turns easily locking/unlocking without the actuator then you know what to replace.

If no luck with the first two, you'll need to remove the latch itself. There are springs in the latch which can break leading to this problem, especially if a broken piece gets lodged. I've seen write-ups on how to repair a latch, but personally I've only replace the unit without having taken one apart so you'll need to do some searching to find instructions.

Thanks Romeo. I will pull the panel and check. The latch spring in the front door broke last year when I was working out of town and ford fixed it. This time its the rear door so no key. Actuator seems good so I will look elsewhere. I think it is strange a manufacturer wold mahe a modern vehicle that you can't escape from if the door is locked. Sounds like a lawsuit to me. Its not a cop car so why would they do that?

Well in low light with a flashlight I discovered the tiny broken spring in the latch. I am going to repair it now before I seek a new latch tomorrow.

Well in low light with a flashlight I discovered the tiny broken spring in the latch. I am going to repair it now before I seek a new latch tomorrow.

Replace the latch while you can still get the door open!! Mine failed with door closed and had to spend $200+ with Ford to get them to get it open and put in a latch I got at JY. Terrible place to work if you have big hands and crappy eyes.:mad:

Back