• Register Today It's free!

Power seat won't move.

Mountaineerer142

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Mercury Mountaineer
There are a lot of threads on here about the seat not moving, but after a few hours of searching I couldn't find anything that describes what I'm experiencing. Sorry in advance if there is something already out there.

I just got a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier trim with 150k on it. The power seat worked just fine. I took the panel off to change out the heated seat switch and then the power seat and the lumbar stopped working. The heated seat is the only electrical on the seat that works currently.

When I move the switch in any direction I can hear what sounds like a relay click.

I tried turning the rods and that did nothing. I also moved the seat manually with the override to free up the tracks and that did nothing either.

I think it might be the power seat module because of the click. The heated seat works though so it might not be. I don't know much about Ford's so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would certainly think that you must have disturbed some wiring when changing out the heated seat switch. Go back in and make certain all connections are good. Maybe disconnect, inspect and re-insert the plugs. Recently sold my Explorer so can't look at mine.

Ok. I have some time Wednesday to check it out. I'll report back when I do.

I would certainly think that you must have disturbed some wiring when changing out the heated seat switch. Go back in and make certain all connections are good. Maybe disconnect, inspect and re-insert the plugs. Recently sold my Explorer so can't look at mine.

I checked out the seat and made sure all of the plugs were in and properly seated. Still nothing. I then traced the wires and tested voltages with the wiring diagram and most were good. I was able to hear better and the relays are all moving and operating, but there is no power coming through them. None of the wires were cut or smushed and power is coming through to I was able to rule out a short.

I'm going to get a control module and see if that fixes it.

Did you have the battery disconnected when you replaced the switch? Wondering if you possibly blew a fuse although there should not be any power for the seats unless the ignition is on. If the passenger seat operates properly I think you still might have an issue with the wiring. Gave away my manual and schematics for the Explorer but I would think that the module would be common to both seats

Yes. The module under the driver's seat runs both seats.
I did have the battery disconnected and I checked all of the fuses when I checked the wiring and no fuses are blown.

The passenger seat is all manual except for the heated part which stopped working at the same time, but the driver's seat heat works. It weird.

Did you have the battery disconnected when you replaced the switch? Wondering if you possibly blew a fuse although there should not be any power for the seats unless the ignition is on. If the passenger seat operates properly I think you still might have an issue with the wiring. Gave away my manual and schematics for the Explorer but I would think that the module would be common to both seats

There are a lot of threads on here about the seat not moving, but after a few hours of searching I couldn't find anything that describes what I'm experiencing. Sorry in advance if there is something already out there.

I just got a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier trim with 150k on it. The power seat worked just fine. I took the panel off to change out the heated seat switch and then the power seat and the lumbar stopped working. The heated seat is the only electrical on the seat that works currently.

When I move the switch in any direction I can hear what sounds like a relay click.

I tried turning the rods and that did nothing. I also moved the seat manually with the override to free up the tracks and that did nothing either.

I think it might be the power seat module because of the click. The heated seat works though so it might not be. I don't know much about. When mine jamed. Because it was needed to move all the way forward for attached underseat srs. I found the black box in the front of the seat, Motor, was hot from Trying, i put some vice grips on the long crome rod and jambed back and forth, Back and forth. While hitting the switch back and forth. It unjambed and with some lube works better than ever.

I did have the battery disconnected and I checked all of the fuses when I checked the wiring and no fuses are blown.

The passenger seat is all manual except for the heated part which stopped working at the same time, but the driver's seat heat works. It weird.
These Ads ARE so Interupting!! I cant find where i was at!!.

Ok. So I got the module and put it in and it worked like a charm. After I hooked the battery up and tested the seat I heard a pop. The #1 fuse under the driver's side dash blew. I tested it with a multimeter and there wasn't a short to ground so I hazarded to put another 30 amp fuse in. It hasn't blown on me again so I think it was just a resistance issue. I took a closer look at the old board on the module and when I opened up the relays I found that the ground side of the relays was corroded. I have no idea how that happened, but the seat moves again and everything works do I'm going to chalk it up to my bad lick with electricals.

Back