power steering fluid.

wagonmaster69

Reaction score
City, State
Hacienda Heights, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Can you flush the power steering fluid.
I have a 1999 Explorer 4x4 sohc V6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a bulb-start siphon hose, to drain the fluid out of my reservoir, with the engine running. Every time the fluid level would get low (but before the pump started sucking air, which will make an audible groaning) I would top up the reservoir, from a gallon container of ATF. After doing this a number of times I pulled out the siphon hose, and topped up the fluid one last time (I ended up using the whole gallon of ATF just to be sure I exchanged the maximum amount of fluid.)

You have two options. The first option is to disconnect a hose, and drain the fluid out of the system. The second option is to use a siphon to draw it out of the reservoir.

I did a search on power steering flush, so here I am, no intent to hijack thread.

Have a '97 5.0L AWD.

Planning on flushing PS, shop manual states one should remove fuse 19 (coil ignition/PCM fuse) prior to performing the lock-to-lock procedure, but also states to clear DTC when finished bleeding.

I was wondering if I could just unplug both ignition coils (V8) to avoid DTC clearing, which I haven't a clue on how to do.

Would anyone point me in the right direction for the answer ?

I don't see why you would need to touch anything electrical in order to flush the power steering system.

I'm just going by the shop manual's procedure, i.e. disable vehicle prior to cranking engine while moving steering lock to lock.

I "thought" I saw a thread regarding power steering flush that the only the ignition coil connection was detached, but can't find the post/thread.

Edit: Ended up pulling fuse 19, bled P.S. and didn't have to clear DTC.

Back