• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Fluid

cobrasvt

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Ok, maybe i'm just having a "senior moment" or i'm just not understanding correctly. Maybe one of you can clue me in on a few things.
I need to add power steering fluid to my resivor. I look in the manual and it says add Motorcraft MERCON ATF. Now I know Motorcraft is fords brand they want you to buy at the dealer but thats not what people really do.
Is Mercon a brand or a type of fluid?
Are you supposed to just by ATF?

I go to pepboys, autozone they have ATF but i dont see anything that says mercon on them. I go and look at power steering fluid and they all seem to just be additives for stopping leaks.

What am I supposed to buy?

Mercron is the type of fluid and most of the major brands make it. It may also be labled as Dexron III/Mercron. You can also use the newer Ford standard Mercron V which is also made by several of the major brands.

So either one of the following would be correct?
Does anyone know if the high mileage is worth it for use as the power steering fluid in this application?

mispopupimage.jsp

CASTROL MERCON® V AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN FORD VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE MERCON® OR MERCON® V.
* Advanced formula exceeds MERCON® requirements
* Enhanced friction durability provides superior transmission life and promotes smooth shifting.
* Exceptional thermal protection guards against transmission wear.
* Certified and approved by Ford for all cars and trucks that require MERCON® or MERCON® V. May also be used in power steering applications where MERCON® or MERCON® V is required.
* Do not use this ATF in applications calling for MERCON® SP or Type F.

mispopupimage.jsp

CASTROL HIGH MILEAGE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IS FOR USE IN MOST TRANSMISSIONS WITH OVER 75,000 MILES.
* Specially formulated for maximum transmission life in high mileage vehicles
o Additional seal conditioners help stop leaks
o Extra cleaning agents reduce varnish and sludge formation
o Protects against clutch wear and restores smooth shifting
* Newer cars will also benefit from Castrol High Mileage ATF
# Can be used in many vehicles including those that require:
* Ford MERCON® V (and prior)
* Chrysler ATF+3® (and prior)
* GM 2005 models and prior (not for use where DEXRON®-VI is required)
* Honda - ATF-Z1
* Hyundai
* Nissan - Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
* Toyota - Type T, T-III, T-IV

I would use the regular non high mileage blend, I would also use dexron 3 instead of 5 or power steering fluid. Hit up a quality NAPA for decent help finding and getting what you need.
I will say that Castrol Mercon 5 is good stuff.

Back