• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Groan Turning Left

StuartT

Reaction score
City, State
La Conner, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
4.0 SOHC 4WD Explorer with 192,000 miles. Only when turning the steering wheel to the left when starting from a dead stop, I get a groan from the steering. Stop the turning, the noise stops. I am thinking pump but it doesn't do it turning to the right. Ideas please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the noise come from the pump? the rack?
Get outside the truck and listen for the noise while someone else turns the wheel. Im thinking more along the lines of a dry tierod or balljoint.

Is it a groan or a grind?

It's 4wd so it could be a bad CV axle...

If it starts doing it under hard acceleration its guaranteed your CV axle, if not I concur with the post above.

It's a groan and only sounds off if you are moving the steering wheel to the left at slow/no speed. Stop moving the wheel, the groan stops. It is definitel rack or pump. I am not able to crawl under right now as we are on a trip and I do not have work clothes with me. Was hoping to eliminate one or the other if someone else has had the same symptoms and could advise.

Hey, just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? I have the exact same problem with my car (not a 4x4 though), but haven't had time to check it out yet.

Hey, just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? I have the exact same problem with my car (not a 4x4 though), but haven't had time to check it out yet.

Still have not located the problem, but I must admit that it is my wife's car and I rarely drive it, so out of sight is out of mind. She never mentions it so I need to drive it again to see if it is the same or worse.

One thing Ford has never done well is power steering pumps and steering racks. Its one problem I usually just learn to live with.

Check the tie rods. I got my groan checked out finally, its due to the tie rods drying out and making noise (usually indicating they are ready to be replaced)

Check the tie rods. I got my groan checked out finally, its due to the tie rods drying out and making noise (usually indicating they are ready to be replaced)

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll check out the tie rods.

Back