Power steering pump/chirping

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
I really thought the chirping was the tensioner....Nope. I replaced that,the idle pulley & the belt.
Still chirping. Comes & goes. More apparent as I give it throttle. Doesn't do it at idle. From searching it seems the power steering pump could be the cause? How likely is that?
I have never had a pump go an an X before. If I do replace it, can I use the stock pulley?
Is the BBB INDUSTRIES 7150133 ok to use? RA has that. Everything is reman these days. The parts stores by me don't stock power steering pumps for Explorers.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change/flush your power steering fluid.

Good luck.

Possible Cam Position Sensor? I chased a "chirping" om my 99 5.0 for several weeks thinking it was a belt tensioner or idler pulley. It was the cam position sensor.

The 4.0 SOHC doesn't have moving internals in the cam sensor from what I read. Fluid change had no effect. I bought a new pump & should be in sometime mid week. I have the old pump out already. Actually very easy, not much $ either.

Look at your belt tensioner with the engine running AC on
The belt stretches the the tensioner hits its stop sounds like crickets

Tensioner idle pulley & belt already replaced.

In OP

A little late but when mine was chirping, it was the harmonic balancer starting to come apart causing a alinement issue.

A little late but when mine was chirping, it was the harmonic balancer starting to come apart causing a alinement issue.
And how were you able to determine that was the problem?

You can often see them wobble.

And how were you able to determine that was the problem?
Old one on the left. See how the pulley part has moved down?

Explorer Balancer.jpg

Well, that is clear. Thank you!

Well, that is clear. Thank you!
I used a paint marker to mark the front of the balancer with a line
If anything is slipping the line won't line up anymore

Another great idea! No wonder these trucks run forever….

I saw that. However it looked like it doesn't affect my year engine. I did inspect it & looks normal to me.
Pump replacement did not solve this. So I'm not sure. I'm done trying to figure it out. When it dies it dies. With my luck it's the timing guides, chain thing.

Back