• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Pump Play

sona

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham,AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
My 2006 4.0 Explorer shredded a belt a few months back. When looking for reasons why, I noticed that the power steering pump had a little bit of end play in it. I figured the pump was why the belt decided to come off and planned on replacing it. Fast forward to now - Just got a new Motorcraft pump from Rockauto and it has about the same amount of end play as the one on my car.

Just wondering if this is normal? I mostly work on European cars outside of the Explorer and I've never seen this much end play on a new pump.

Is it possible that the pump is defective?

My 2006 4.0 Explorer shredded a belt a few months back. When looking for reasons why, I noticed that the power steering pump had a little bit of end play in it. I figured the pump was why the belt decided to come off and planned on replacing it. Fast forward to now - Just got a new Motorcraft pump from Rockauto and it has about the same amount of end play as the one on my car.

Just wondering if this is normal? I mostly work on European cars outside of the Explorer and I've never seen this much end play on a new pump.

Is it possible that the pump is defective?
@sona

But, HOW MUCH end play? Depending on pump type, 1/8 inch may be acceptable, bjut certainly not much more. How much do you have? imp

Back