• Register Today It's free!

power steering pump whine

freak

Reaction score
City, State
Pemberville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer XLS
I'm looking at buying a 98 4x4 manual Ranger that is said to have a whine from the power steering pump. (I haven't went to see the truck yet). Any time I've heard a whine it was low fluid but adding a bit fixed it.

1. Assuming this truck is full of fluid and still whines is the pump likely bad?

2. If I were to replace the pump would it get ruined again quickly because of debris in the oil from the bad pump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a whining power steering pump isn't all that bad. Mine has been whining ever since i bought the truck and i have never had an issue with it. That said though, you should defiantly change the fluid as that always helps.

Sounds like it is a bad pump.
If you are worried about the fluid, you can flush the power steering fluid which should be done if the fluid is bad.

Most all Ford p/s pump make some kind of whine noise.

Make sure it has fluid AND that the air has been bled out. If it still is loud, then it probably does need a pump. If the old pump was bad, you definitely need to flush out the system because it is likely full of debris and that can damage the new pump.

Make sure it has fluid AND that the air has been bled out. If it still is loud, then it probably does need a pump. If the old pump was bad, you definitely need to flush out the system because it is likely full of debris and that can damage the new pump.

How clean can you actually get it from doing a flush and is there a howto for it somewhere?

The 98 Ranger has the same pump as the 91-94 Explorers. They whine from the factory. It gets louder as time goes by and the fluid gets older. Remove the serpentine belt and the pump should be fine if there is little or no wiggle at the pulley. Flush out the system, and refill it with Mobile One ATF. Whine should go away and only come back at full steering wheel lock. This is the tried and true way to reduce the whine and has been used by numerous people on this forum. I have not had a pump fail from making noise, the one's I had go bad blew seals.

[MENTION=3817]BKennedy[/MENTION]... Very good info!!! Thank you!!!!

Back