• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering

Lushaholic

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Although, there is one thing I'm a little confused about.

A few months ago it flooded in my neighborhood, due to block being lower that the main road. I figured that once I make it out of the neighborhood, I'll be ok. After driving through water that was as deep as my floorboard, it appeared that my power steerring went out on me. Again, this water wasnt coming into the explorer, but if I were to open my door, the bottom of the door would be skimming the water. So, I wrestled the explorer back into the driveway. We got in my buddies Tundra and he happily, easily, and PROUDLY drove us to the movies. I was a little embarrassed.

After leaving the explorer over night in my drive way and giving it time to dry, I was able to drive the car with no problems the following morning. It seems that something was too wet to work.

My question to you is, Was that a normall behavior for the power steering system?

Any ideas?

Thank you all,
Chris

ive driven my 01 through water about that deep during rainstorms and floods but ive never had that issue. i feel like having the power steering shut off if it gets too wet would be a pretty big health hazard so I don't think it would be designed to do that...

I bet the belt slipped from getting wet.

Back