• Register Today It's free!

power stering Pump

rudywebb

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 1998 ford explorer Sport, when I am making left hand turns at speeds between 15 and 20 miles per hour my engine stalls...is that my steering pump?..
and at certain speeds 65 mph I will get a shimmy on and off, and the steering wheel will move a little left and right, any Idea's on what this is

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The steering pump would have a really hard time stalling the engine. I'd be looking for some kind of fuel problem in the tank.

The shimmy means you need to overhaul your front end.

so why would it stall only when making left hand turns

If the steering pump froze, the belt would burn & break. Thats about it.

Check motor mounts and look for pinched wires maybe.

I agree the suspension needs looked at, but also the rear dampener shock may be bad. Some rigs need this, some don't.

so why would it stall only when making left hand turns
I've seen the factory rubber hose that connects the electric pump to the steel fuel line do funny things when it starts to disintegrate.

I agree the suspension needs looked at, but also the rear dampener shock may be bad. Some rigs need this, some don't.
If the rear dampener is like the one on my 95 X, you'll need to take it to the parts store so they can cross the numbers...it's not listed in their computers.

Check your MAF, could be bad. you could by some cleaner and see if it clears up the issue.

Back