Power Window with key off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window with key off?

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
the other day I had to take my wife somewhere and I waited in my '01 Explorer until she came out (about 15 mins). during that time I noticed that my power windows continued to work with the ignition key in the OFF position. I've never noticed this before and I don't think my '00 Mountaineer does this. is this normal? I had a Z28 whose windows (and radio) worked this way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine will work fine after pulling up and turning off the key right up till you open a door. So yes I think this is normal.

Mine also does the same thing. But just for a short period. I think it may have something to do with being able to roll up the windows if you forget after shutting it off. It works for about the same amount of time as the inside dome light stays on after closing the door.

Normal but I didn't know they would do that till reading elsewhere on here awhile back.
I didn't know the od would kick off when you let go of the gas either till I read it on here..never noticed it.

Normal but I didn't know they would do that till reading elsewhere on here awhile back.
I didn't know the od would kick off when you let go of the gas either till I read it on here..never noticed it.

do you mean it downshifts into 3rd when you let off the gas? I've never noticed that.

do you mean it downshifts into 3rd when you let off the gas? I've never noticed that.

I think he means the short period that it drops down into 4th but as soon as you throttle and then level out it settles back into OD.

I think he means the short period that it drops down into 4th but as soon as you throttle and then level out it settles back into OD.

I thought 4th was overdrive... ?

the other day I had to take my wife somewhere and I waited in my '01 Explorer until she came out (about 15 mins). during that time I noticed that my power windows continued to work with the ignition key in the OFF position. I've never noticed this before and I don't think my '00 Mountaineer does this. is this normal? I had a Z28 whose windows (and radio) worked this way.

Its called power retention, and its described in your owners manual. Windows and radio will work without the key in the ignition until you open a door.

Its called power retention, and its described in your owners manual. Windows and radio will work without the key in the ignition until you open a door.

Not true. Radio won't work.

How it works is when you turn off the ignition, the power windows will work until you open the drivers door.
I've had a passenger get out and I still had the ability to control windows.

It's actually a nice feature.

I believe mine is a 4 speed with OD for a total of five. But I could be wrong, lol.

No, the V8 has only 4 forward gears including OD. Torque converter locks which can feel like another gear.

5R55E that came on some V6 explorers is a 5 speed.

Also, to the original subject. Yeah, normal feature. I'm glad too, it was one of the few things I missed about my Pontiac. I can shut the engine off, then close all the windows, or shut the engine off when I am waiting for someone, and open the windows if I get too hot.

Back