Power windows intermittently not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power windows intermittently not working.

Dman525

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I have a '96 Explorer XLT with a window and sunroof problem. At random times my 4wd and low4wd lights on the dashboard will flash and then the windows and sunroof will not work (if they are open, they won't close; if they are closed, they won't open). This happens at all random times...sometimes when I start the car, sometimes when I'm driving, sometimes when it's hot, sometimes when it's cold, sometimes when it's raining, sometimes when it's dry...there is no rhyme or reason to it. There will be weeks at a time when the windows work fine and there will be weeks at a time when they don't work at all. Every time they're not working the 4wd and low4wd lights flash about every two minutes. This has been going on for about two years now and I'm finally completely frustrated.
Has anybody ever heard of this situation? Any ideas on what is going on and/or how to fix it?
Many, many thanks in advance and if you live near Seattle I'm happy to buy you a beer!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Windows not working...

Thanks, I will check that. And thanks for moving my post to another section. I'm a newby so I appreciate it.

I know you didn't it mention it, but by chance do your wipers stop functioning when this happens?

No, all the other electrical works...wipers, door locks, rear window defrost, mirrors, radio, CD player, everything.

Same problem here. The rear wiper does not work when this happens and the rear tailgate locks. The rear window does open.

Likely problem is a relay issue... probably battery saver but maybe the accessory delay. check them with a meter.

That's what I thought the problem was when I had the same issue. I researched on here and came to the conclusion that it was either the battery saver relay or the relay module that is located in the dash beside the radio. I sold the Explorer before I fixed the problem, but the buyer took it to a garage and it turned out to be a broken wire behind the rear driver's side wheel well. It sounds crazy, but he said that fixed the wipers and the power windows. I'm assuming he meant it was located in the interior harness inside the hatch area, but that's how he described it.

it is also likely that its a wire coming from "said relays", that's why you need to check things in and around the relays with a meter. IIRC, there is a splice not too from the the relay module which "contains" the affected items listed.

Windows not working...(cont.)

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied and let you know the problem has been fixed after the windows finally failed permanently. The problem was the accessory relay...total cost for the part was $12. Thanks again for all the input.

Windows not working...(cont.)

The part is located behind the dashboard. I didn't actually do the repair due to time constraints, work, etc. but was told the dash had to come apart and the repair was done near the GEM module. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Accessory Delay Relay

Thank you to everyone that contributed to the accessory delay relay issue and the location of said relay. My windows are now working properly after 2 years of intermittent problems. The relay on my 96 EB was near the steering column. It is with 6 others and is the square (large) one of the cluster.:)

same thing was hapening with my so i found a the door switches on ebay for like $20 so i bought them and switched them out with mine so the color matched the door and they work fine. now to just find a passenger door switch cause its going bad too

Back