Power Windows Not Working - Need Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Windows Not Working - Need Help

Jayson Wonder

Reaction score
City, State
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 LTD & '94 XLT
Hello All,

I have a problem. If it was not the middle of summer and if my air conditioning was working it woudl not be such an emergency.

About 2 months ago I noticed that my power windows stopped working intermitenly. This was about once or twice per week. They woudl usually start work again before I reached my destination (5 - 10 mins). If not, when I returned to the truck and restarted, the windows worked again. I knew this was abnormal but did not panic, though it was a bad switch or realy.

After this increased in frequency (once or twice per day) and the summer hit, I became worried. Check my switches, fuse but could not see a problem. Then I noticed that my 4WD Auto / Lo lights on the dash were flashing every the problem occured.

I came to this site an read most of the posts pertaining to this type of issue. From what I read I see that I may be a computer issue, so I disconnected teh battery for 30mins and reconnected, same problem. I check teh 4WD switch (swaped it) same problem. I read that it may be the wheel speed sensors but I tried to find them and clear or investgate but I was not able to find them. I am not a mechanic, some basic things I can fix but never dealt with wheel sensors issues before. I asked the mechanic (whiel getting an oil change) he told me he can't see of reach them without taking my rotors and backing plate off. Maybe thsi is true of else he did not want to do it for me. I actually think he thougth I was crazy as he was not sure how the windows and sensors could be related. I told him i read it here and it must be true! Finnaly, I called my local Ford dealer and the said that it could be my read differential, has anyone hear of this being a factor? I have heard a bit of noise (ticking / rattle) coming from that area of the truck.

My 4WD Auto / Low lights flash 6 times, I know that for sure. Other then the slight rattle / tickign in the rear end I have no other leads. Other then the fact that I replaced the light bulb in the 4WD switch recently but that shoudl nto be the problem. I mean either the bulb works or it does not and it is working. (Thanks to Gary from this forum who sent me one, the dealer watned to sell the entire switch).

I hate to pay (but will when I can afford) $75 plus tax to have dealer to hook me up to a computer and tell me the same thing the 6 4wd light flashes mean. From posts here I gather it means wheel sensor. Please corect me if I am wrong.

I basically need any advice or thoughts that may assist me in fixing this situation. Has any one dealt with this sucessfully. I am confused at how the 4WD or wheel sensors can impact the power windows. I guess it is the beauty of computers. 8(

Any tips, advice, pcitures of where the wheel sensors are located for cleaning would be helpful but surely it is nto that simple..... I plan to try and get my air conditioning fixed whe I get some money but maybe I need to have it on the computer at teh dealers as I priority. I am so lost, I need help 911. It is so hot in that truck now, I cannot even drive it back and forth to work.

Thanks for reading this and thaks in advance for any help or direction you can offer me. I gotta get my baby fixed!

Thanks,

Sounds like you need some maintenance..... :-( Not an expert .... hopefully some one with more explorer experience will pipe in, but perhaps your battery / alterator is not quite up to snuff and as a result, things are happening in your GEM (generic electronic module) that are out of wack or perhaps the GEM itself is a problem. You need to try isolate your drive line indicator problem (lights for 4WD) from the window problem.... if possible or possibly check other systems to see if they are functioning correctly when you see these two problems. If there are other problems, then perhaps a common source like the GEM may be the culprit. Not much help, but ... ???

Back