Prerunner/Dual Purpose 94 Build | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prerunner/Dual Purpose 94 Build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had a blast with this thing on it's first desert run. It handles amazing. Out of the box it is really impressive. As usual, the desert will bring out any weakness in your vehicle. I cracked the housing that the heater hoses go into. Quick little bypass & I was good to go. I then had a charging issue. Alternator took a dump & took the battery along with it. I came home with a new alternator & a Die Hard platinum AGM battery. For the amount of abuse this thing can take an acid filled battery was not going to cut it. Unfortunately, no good pics, but I'm working on a little in car video.
09F94CA7-9A50-4912-A6ED-27F8E7C45D22_zpsgsbb57of.jpg

sweet, but just curious why would you just put the fiberglass bedsides over the original bedside? Or did i misread something???

sweet, but just curious why would you just put the fiberglass bedsides over the original bedside? Or did i misread something???

I'm putting a full size 8.8 in it. I need the additional tire coverage. The bedsides also allow you to carve out the wheel well for more clearance.

Sleeper status is almost officially gone. Picked up some Dana 44 conversion beam pivot brackets and a set of Dana 44's with warn hubs

4C0A98E0-168A-48AC-9ECA-ADD0A8CA3BA8_zpsxmlff5ap.jpg

9DC9AFF6-9443-464E-AAC3-402ED4D01C3B_zpsvnkduaaf.jpg

Underwhelming update

Fresh A4LD, new torque converter, new rear main, all going in as soon as it's not 140 degrees out!

F2E33174-4372-4A31-A7C9-BFC2CD1B2FE0_zpskdzuwuih.jpg

Love the truck man looks great and love the re fab rim job. Just have one lil thought whats under the hood. it says sleeper witch correct me if im wrong cause it might mean something else there. but that is a visually stock vehicle with a wicked drive train hidden inside

Looking good dude Make sure you flush the tranny cooler and lines when you change the tranny... Also an axillary filter is a good idea on these trucks...

Cheers...

Love the truck man looks great and love the re fab rim job. Just have one lil thought whats under the hood. it says sleeper witch correct me if im wrong cause it might mean something else there. but that is a visually stock vehicle with a wicked drive train hidden inside

At first it was going to be a sleeper off road truck. Stock looking, but able to handle some abuse. That all went out the window and is only going to get worse with Bronco beams, 35's, etc

Looking good dude Make sure you flush the tranny cooler and lines when you change the tranny... Also an axillary filter is a good idea on these trucks...

Cheers...

:thumbsup:

At first it was going to be a sleeper off road truck. Stock looking, but able to handle some abuse. That all went out the window and is only going to get worse with Bronco beams, 35's, etc

looking good though.

Im really loving this thread.

I have C&T beams and D44 knuckle swap on my wish list along with coil overs and a strongly built engine. I'm hoping for a simple pre-runner set-up with tuning for mud and light crawling/trail driving for the terrain I live and frequent in.

Finally back on the road!
F6DFF20C-6867-42EB-8C81-64C58E55C5DE_zpse6jxhqgt.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas on how to tighten up the extremely sloppy steering? I have probably an 1/8 of a rotation of play in both directions.

On the steering gear box, there is a hex with a nut around it. The nut keeps the hex from turning. With your Allen wrench in the hex, loosen the nut and tighten the hex no more than 1/16-1/8 at a time and tighten the nut. There was a thread somewhere here about not using more than a 1/4 turn or risk wearing the gear box down swiftly. Anyways, then go for a test drive...adjust accordingly. Keep in mind that the rag joint and universal on the steering column shaft may have slop in it as well an they may be the real culprit.

Mine took 1/8 and was great. 1/4 really made the steering stiff and numb.

On the steering gear box, there is a hex with a nut around it. The nut keeps the hex from turning. With your Allen wrench in the hex, loosen the nut and tighten the hex no more than 1/16-1/8 at a time and tighten the nut. There was a thread somewhere here about not using more than a 1/4 turn or risk wearing the gear box down swiftly. Anyways, then go for a test drive...adjust accordingly. Keep in mind that the rag joint and universal on the steering column shaft may have slop in it as well an they may be the real culprit.

Mine took 1/8 and was great. 1/4 really made the steering stiff and numb.

I actually did exactly this on my lunch break. Mine needed a flat head screwdriver instead of an allen. I did a 1/4 turn at first and tested it, I then did another 1/4 and tested it again. It is worlds better now. I literally beat the **** out of my truck, it's been jumped multiple times and beaten through miles of whoops. My box was pretty loose, I'd say hot dog in a hallway loose!

Did some fine tuning on a spare throttle body. Can't wait to get this in. Just going to hold out for a day while lock tight to sets up.
D56D4CF8-0256-4B7D-A270-C23A3F329501_zpsk70rxs9p.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the Explorer is down for a few quick upgrades right now.

- New rear upper shock mount/cross member to get more up travel
- New shorter rear (poly) bump stomps
- 1 Rear shock is getting a new reservoir hose
- New powdercoat on the front springs
- Rubber washers/spacers in the shock mounts to reduce clatter
- Switching to FK uniballs on all the shocks
- Better air filter mount
- New front reservoir mounts
- New Radiator
- New Dynomax muffler
- High flow throttle body
- Misc weld on zip tie tabs to clean things up

I'm very close to doing the Dana 44/full size rear end swap. I finally have all of the parts I need and I'm just waiting on my gear guy (and myself) to have some free time. I'm considering updating the front end since the new front end will be about 80" wide and on 35's. The old school look has really grown on me, but I have really been feeling the urge to update it. Here's my ideas:

Sport Trac
1911727_822619277805293_6261837608911802075_n.jpg

97-03 F150 conversion - For some reason this looks ok to me. I am picturing it with Lightning headlights and corners and a stock chrome grille. Can't say I've ever seen one that way.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Something totally custom
2014-Ford-Flex-Photo.jpg

Back