Prerunner/Dual Purpose 94 Build | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prerunner/Dual Purpose 94 Build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

love the build! read the whole thing this morning. Makes me jealous that you can still find a 1st gen in that shape.

Little tough to see, but I finally got the Currie spring plates installed, so no more funky stock lower shock mount and long U-bolts. Also did some bedside supports to the rear lower wheel well to push them out about 3" and make them nice & solid.

E9C70DA9-6EAE-4D0E-84C3-08C94CF4F28D_zpskmq4sz3y.jpg

I've never had an issue with photobucket, I still don't, it's just that I've exceeded what they allow for monthly bandwidth. First time it's happened in probably 10 years of using the site!

Here's a before and after of my 2 week build. Did all this stuff before I even put gas in it!

6MiUol1.jpg

UPRBW8O.jpg
I like seeing other people take a stock 1st gen explorer and creating a CuStoM personalized build I've been doing a CuStoM 1st gen explorer myself from stock to original. I want to post pics of my project but having problems posting.

I like seeing other people take a stock 1st gen explorer and creating a CuStoM personalized build I've been doing a CuStoM 1st gen explorer myself from stock to original. I want to post pics of my project but having problems posting.

i cant get this new setup to post pictures either. i wish they wouldnt have changed explorerforum

I host all my images with photobucket and copy & paste the img code

Solid day run with my son. Finally got to run with a Raptor. As expected he got me in the flats, but couldn't hang in the big stuff. Nothing is set in stone, but I got an offer on the truck that I am really considering. I have mixed emotions about it. I love this thing, but it's only a bunch of metal and parts, I could always build another one!
543D5E27-49C6-4EA0-8B59-23B34B4DAF89_zpslsvgu3gg.jpg

C97A7446-896B-4D45-BA65-52534F725FBB_zpsgmrbtlum.jpg

E69CA410-59E7-4F5D-895D-B377032C0204_zpsyywx7saa.jpg

12BE4A59-92DD-43C0-AA01-A16EE060901B_zpsribycwni.jpg

44233B1A-A83C-43BF-9C16-BD6E7C81B2C6_zpsio7l1eer.jpg

2476D8C4-A6CA-4BB1-AD6E-F1DB6CF3A280_zpsap2irpdl.jpg

4D94A297-44D7-462D-AED1-B2F781C0AD5C_zpstkfhjtwh.jpg

AB1E564B-E4DF-4A8E-AC8F-8E1700ED61BE_zpsbr1tazvp.jpg

[video]

Looks good. And you are right it is sheet and metal but it was all done by you. There are times that I miss my 78 Blazer. I built her almost from ground up. replaced almost everything on her accept the frame and body :) But I have moved on and now gonna build an Explorer. If you get a new one look forward to seeing that one being built.

Looks good. And you are right it is sheet and metal but it was all done by you. There are times that I miss my 78 Blazer. I built her almost from ground up. replaced almost everything on her accept the frame and body :) But I have moved on and now gonna build an Explorer. If you get a new one look forward to seeing that one being built.

The next one will be a 2nd gen 4.0 SOHC on 31's, 4x4, all stock sheet metal, coilover front end. More of a sleeper and a work truck for my ventures into the field of Real Estate.

First generation Explorers are cheap to register and insure. I haven't seen anyone sell a modified Explorer and make any money off the deal, once you factor in all your time and out of pocket. Unless there is profit involved and you plan on building another, or you need to free up cash to start a new business venture, keep it and buy a daily driver.

I bet we are about the same as far as money spent on our rigs. I don't think I could get more than $5-7K for my Explorer, and I have twice that in parts in the front suspension alone.

If you do decide to sell, lets meet up so I can get a ride before it goes away. Haven't been in a purpose built go-fast truck in a long time.

I have never seen a realtor driving a lifted Explorer. Might work for east county.

Well, I'm in East County, so you never know, lol. The offer I got is north of 7 grand. As far as parts go, I am making my $ back. Time is a different story, but I've built the entire truck myself and had fun for the most part doing it. Freeing up a little cash would definitely accelerate my ventures into Real Estate, so that's part of my motivation.

$7,000 seems like a bargain when you think about it. A SXS that would do what your explorer does would be $20-30k and would not be near as plush (though similar in size). After watching your video it appears that you have the suspension/steering dialed in pretty well. Its a sharp Explorer, you did a great job.
If I was going to buy a built one, this is the one I would want.

$7,000 seems like a bargain when you think about it. A SXS that would do what your explorer does would be $20-30k and would not be near as plush (though similar in size). After watching your video it appears that you have the suspension/steering dialed in pretty well. Its a sharp Explorer, you did a great job.
If I was going to buy a built one, this is the one I would want.

20-30K in a side by side would blow my Explorer out of the water! I'm getting back what I put into it parts wise, and loosing on the labor I put into it. The labor is more of a hobby for me anyways, and always a learning experience.

20-30K in a side by side would blow my Explorer out of the water!
Yeah, but your Explorer is much cooler that a side-by-side.

I can't believe you only put 7K into that rig. I bet I have that much in parts I already changed out for other parts.:laugh:

I did all the fab work & I worked in the off road industry for a long time, so i have some good connections! She's gone, and I picked up a really nice 98 last night.

As long as your happy that is all that matters. Building older Explorers into good off-road vehicles make sure they are going to be around for much longer. They won't end up scrapped due to Cash For Clunkers.

I meant $20 - 30k including the purchase price. The 4 seater CanAm is over $20k.

Because of your build and ChaseTruck's bad influence I ended up buying a 1st gen Explorer for a beater/builder. I have less than $1k in it and it rallys pretty good. The best part is that the parts are cheap.

I loved the build, Awesome truck.
Good luck on your real-estate ventures.

I appreciate the feed back. I will have a link up here real soon for the next build. It'll be a good one, I promise!

Back