• Register Today It's free!

Presumed alternator issue

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Well, as hard as it seems to believe; my stock (July 2001 purchase of truck) battery gave up the ghost today in 18 degree temps. Well, initially I ran up the road and got a new battery (850 CCA vs. Stock 650) - my stock battery registered that it had 20 CCA!!! :D but that didn't fix my power issues... the truck had no accessory power - no door locks, windows, etc. A strange clicking came from my engine bay when I tried to start it... nothing else, it wouldn't even try to fire with the new battery. A neighbor helped me jump it later.... luckily it was 16 degrees at that point! :p: Needless to say, I limped it home... and at least once on the drive my lights looked yellow. My stock battery guage in the cluster reads low and still does so I assume it's the alternator. Anyone else have an alternator go before their stock battery and have issues like these? At least I know it's not the starter.

I have a corroded neg. battery terminal I'll have to replace first, then maybe go to checker and get an output reading on the alternator to see if that looks like it's the issue. Any recommendations for a cost affordable stock alternator replacement. I'm thinking of going with an Autolite for $169 or so.

Back