Probably a dumb ? Tranny Fluid type...and to flush or not to flush | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Probably a dumb ? Tranny Fluid type...and to flush or not to flush

ws65

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I see in a lot of threads to go with the amsoil...is there any particular type of amsoil or is it just their atf?

And el cajon, ca people that use amsoil; where did you buy it?

I have 96k miles on my '00 xlt 4.0 sohc, I've heard some say that you shouldn't flush at this much mileage because it would "wash out" clutch "lubricant"...this is what a guy at Pep Boys said...he said just drop the pan and change filter/add fluid. I'm not sure if the tranny fluid has ever been changed since I'm the second owner.

Thanks all...this forum is awesome! :biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see in a lot of threads to go with the amsoil...is there any particular type of amsoil or is it just their atf?

And el cajon, ca people that use amsoil; where did you buy it?

I have 96k miles on my '00 xlt 4.0 sohc, I've heard some say that you shouldn't flush at this much mileage because it would "wash out" clutch "lubricant"...this is what a guy at Pep Boys said...he said just drop the pan and change filter/add fluid. I'm not sure if the tranny fluid has ever been changed since I'm the second owner.

Thanks all...this forum is awesome! :biggthump

I agree...no flush. Just drop the pan and change.

For thew Amsoil fluid, just use Amsoil ATF.

I am a firmbeleiver in flushing to change the fluid. Its a simple 20-30 minute mess free procedure.

In a higher mileage vehicle, flushing causes more problems than it solves. Exchanging the fluid is one thing... nothing wrong with that, but flushing using any type of chemical solvent or cleaner creates more problems than it solves.

IMHO, every 30,000 miles or so, drop the pan, change the filter, and replace the (approx.) 4 quarts that comes out. Anything more than that is unnecessary IMHO.

In a higher mileage vehicle, flushing causes more problems than it solves. Exchanging the fluid is one thing... nothing wrong with that, but flushing using any type of chemical solvent or cleaner creates more problems than it solves.

IMHO, every 30,000 miles or so, drop the pan, change the filter, and replace the (approx.) 4 quarts that comes out. Anything more than that is unnecessary IMHO.

Is this a DIY job? I thought I read somewhere you have to remove the driveshaft or muffler to drop the pan.

I've heard the same thing. I've also heard that if you don't, it's exceptionally messy as lots of trans fluid hits the catalytic converter. So long as the cat is cold and you clean it thoroughly when you're done, I wouldn't expect an issue.

I've never done it myself. It's one of the few things I am willing to pay someone to do. For $75 for a filter and fluid, it's worth it for me to avoid the hassle of cleaning up the mess it creates. That's how I've handled it for the last 150k.

-Joe

Is this a DIY job? I thought I read somewhere you have to remove the driveshaft or muffler to drop the pan.

It's pretty much straightforward but you'll need to remove a section of exhaust to deal with the pain in the ass heat shield clipped onto the transmission pan lip. I did it without removing the exhaust, but it was a big problem getting the pan off an on. There is literally no space between the transmission and exhaust to work with it, either. I managed to get everything off and on without doing that but it was an extreme PITA; when I do it again I'm removing the pipe.

This job would've been a hell of a lot easier if it wasn't for that bonehead afterthought design. :fire: The damn thing is still not back in position properly, and I've worn out of ideas trying to deal with it short of removing the exhaust section.

oh, and the 5R55E uses Mercon V ATF.

The issue with flushing on an old transmission and the reason why I didn't do it is that it can knock worn particles loose and clog something else in the transmission.

That heat shield on mine comes off without too much trouble (in fact it comes off every few months if I catch a puddle the right way!!). It's never fallen out on its own, but I have managed to pull it out myself, only to wedge it back up in there and clip it back in place just to be safe. Is that the major hang-up on the project? (Like I said, I've never done it myself)

-Joe

Joe, what I meant by flush was doing what aldive does that changes all the fluid, a quart at at a time, in one afternoon. I'm now leaning towards drop the pan, change the filter, add fluid. Then in a month, drop the pan, add fluid, and follow one last time ( a month later), which should get all of it. Your thoughts on this ?
I know it mixes old and new. If I go this route, should I be adding amsoil to the existing mercon or just go straight mercon?

Bump for a hopeful response to my last question :)

Sorry.... been sick for a couple of days, so this one got past me....

IMHO, it depends on how often you're changing it. For me, I see no reason to go above and beyond what the engineers in Dearborn recommended. Aldive closely monitors his trans fluid, and more power to him for it, in order to maximize its life. For me, a filter and top-off every 30,000 miles has been working well for 169,000 miles (as of this morning). But do whatever lets you sleep at night.

i just flushed mine using the trans machine at our dealership..... my 4r70w's tranny pump has enough pressure where it displaces the old fluid to new in the machine all on its own, the maching kinda acting like an in line exchanger.... all 5r55es you have to forcefeed/pull fluid into them...

i didnt use any additives or bullshit snake oil. just straight mercon V exchange

That heat shield on mine comes off without too much trouble (in fact it comes off every few months if I catch a puddle the right way!!). It's never fallen out on its own, but I have managed to pull it out myself, only to wedge it back up in there and clip it back in place just to be safe. Is that the major hang-up on the project? (Like I said, I've never done it myself)

-Joe

You must have more room between it and the exhaust on yours. I'll have to post a picture of mine, it's impossible to deal with. It is also supposedly bolted on the very top to the transmission, at least that's what it says in the service manual. Either way, it sure as hell isn't going to fall off.

Sorry you're sick joe...I just got over a nasty sinus infection myself. I don't know if its ever been changed since I'm the second owner. It has 96K that's why I'm not sure what to do. I'm for sure not going put any additive cleaning crap in it. So I'm wondering since I don't know if it's been changed, should I get rid of all the fluid (flush the aldive way) and go synthetic or just drop the pan. Either one I decide to do, the pan will be dropped regardless so I can change the filter. Damn I'm confused on what to do. I'm going to start another thread about a low pitched "squeek" in my right front end that I'm baffled by...

If it was mine, I'd drop the pan change the filter, and see what there is to see. If the thing is running good now, and there's no evidence of excessive wear in the pan when you drop it, I'd just refill it and let it go. No sense in making a big deal if everything is working fine.

Now, if you want to go synthetic, that's entirely up to you. I'd consider going with a full fluid exchange for that, or just add full synthetic at every filter change, and figure that after another couple hundred-thousand miles, it'll be close enough to being all synthetic. Again, whichever lets you sleep at night is the one for you. Both should be fine for the truck. :)

Back