• Register Today It's free!

problem with oil pan drain hole

billy97xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 F-150
ok so I was changing the oil and the oil pan drain hole is stripped.... (at least this is what I think) I am leaking oil and when I put the oil plug in it starts to get tight and then it gets loose again and the starts to get tight..... well I think you get the pic on that. I have also tried a new oil plug. is my only option to get a new oil pan?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a re-threading tool that you could buy from a hardware store to get the thread back. You might have to change to a bigger size bolt to get the right fit.

thanks for the idea i might just give that a try

they also sell oversized drain plugs.... i have used some, but they only work about 50% of the time without problems....

Heli Coil

You can get an insert kit at just about any parts store, Heli coil - you drill and tap the hole for a spiral insert thats put in with a special wrench- it allow you to use the standard plug.

Make sure you use a new washer with the plug after every couple of changes. A worn washer encourages you to crank down on the plug to get it to seal.

Good Luck

Back