Problems, problems, problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems, problems, problems

The_Dealer

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 85 b2 2.8L a4ld bw1350, and ive been trying to chase down these wierd noises. u suspected my flexplate was cracked so i replaced it and i found that one of the t/c studs stripped and the nut fell off and the t/c wallered out the flexplate. so i fixed it, i used a 4.0 t/c from advance out of a 92 4.0 ranger. i wanted the lower stall. and i love it. noises somewhat solved. i was getting a ticking/rattleing sound at idle and all speeds. i also adjusted my valves, and for the first 20 minutes she was so quiet. then i started to notice that a rattle/knocking sound at idle, which gets worse when i put it in gear, but goes away with engine speed, and im getting a little lifter tick back.

ok so i also had starter grinding on start up which stopped when i changed the flexplate and started again a couple days later. i loosened up the starter and slid it towards the flexplate, tightened it and no more grinding, also the block plate is cut up and its only the part where the starter goes, i always though it was supposed to go all the way across the bottom of the bellhousing. im thinking that its the wrong block plate. where can i get a new one? also what could be making the rattle/knock sounds? it sounds like a friggen diesel, and its comming from the bellhousing.

maybe my valves come back out of adjustment? i say that because i believe the ticking i had before was valve noise resonating. please help guys. i checked and made sure all the bolts were tight from where i changed the flexplate and t/c and everything is good to go, fluid is good. engine oil is good

Back