• Register Today It's free!

Problems starting my Explorerv

subishi

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
New to the forum but I have been reading posts for the last few months - some really useful information with me being a new owner of a 1998 Ford Explorer.

I am having some problems starting the engine and was hoping for some pointers before I head of to the garage.

Initially I was only getting a clicking noise when turning the ignition and after a few attempts I decided to charge the battery as I have just bought the car and did not know what condition the battery was in. After charging the battery the same issue occured. In hindsight I should have known it was not the battery as on a 1/4 turn of the ignition I still had power / radio / lights etc and the central locking was still functional.

The car will start with a bit of persuation from the gas pedal. It is very intermitant. Sometime it will not turn over at all and will be totally dead but if I rest my foot on the gas pedal it will sometime fire up. From a cold start it will be pursuaded to start and will then start easier after that trial with a little gas. When the problem started the car was either starting or not turning over at all but this morning it was turning over but would still not start!

I am a relative novice at this so any help would be much appreciated. Having read some of the other threads I think it may either be a solanoid or something to do with the fuel pressure?

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks
Jasper

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having a similar problem with my 98 Exploder. It will start just fine most times but then it will crank with out firing, coughing or anything. I figured out now that if i mashed the pedal it will start. I do not know what the issue is either. I have subscribed to this thread.

Could it be a clogged fuel filter?

Quick detail update:
When I try and start the car it also seems to reset the radio and central locking. It is like the battery has been disconnected then reconnected again in the process of turning the ignition key?

Any help please?

Jasper

Sounds like your battery is toast. Clicking is heard when there is not enough power going to your starter. If you are turning your key and the stations are resetting its because there is not enough voltage to maintain your radios constant power for saving your stations. There are tons of places that can test it but I am sure its your battery.

Quick update

Tested battery and it is fine and all the leads seem good and not corroded. The engine will only respond in any way when I pump the gas. I can have the key turned and nothing - then when I depress the gas pedal it suddenly stated to turn over.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jasper

Quick update
Thanks Fiero-changed the battery and now all is well. The battery was testing ok but it's crank voltage was low.

Thanks again
Jasper

Quick update
Thanks Fiero-changed the battery and now all is well. The battery was testing ok but it's crank voltage was low.

Thanks again
Jasper

Awesome I am glad all is good and I could help out

Take care
Tom

Back