Problems with brand new explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems with brand new explorer

Both this 2020 Explorer and my 2013 MKZ had issues at certain gas pumps where it would stop every minute or more for the entire empty tank forcing me to hold the handle the entire fillup.(cringe during COVID) LOL I stopped going to those stations and go to the same Exxon now and never have fill up issues anymore. My 2013 did develop purge valve issues after a while and would almost stall after fillups.

There are a few stations here that this happens too. I just pull the nozzle out 1/2" and it prevents it from false stopping full constantly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Explorer2217 When I received my new Explorer last year (the ST) it was full of problems and I was very annoyed. All was fixed and the car is great. Hopefully they will fix it and you’ll enjoy the car soon! Touching wood!

@Explorer2217 When I received my new Explorer last year (the ST) it was full of problems and I was very annoyed. All was fixed and the car is great. Hopefully they will fix it and you’ll enjoy the car soon! Touching wood!
Explorer2217: I agree with KKRISKAC and with Blwnsmoke. I've had a very similar situation with "filling" (not partial filling) the gas tank. What was happening was the Purge Valve Vapor Canister Solenoid was defective on a GM product. Same symptoms. In fact sometimes it actually wouldn't even start after a fill or extremely hard start. Most likely Ford already is aware of the issue and there may be a Tech Service Bulletin out on it. I'll bet this one is going to be a fast fix and you'll be fine! That part by the way is emissions related and its possible it could be a sensor tied into that part.

Bring it in and let them work on it. Simple as that.

I dont touch anything on the car (been working on cars for over 15 years now), I just bring it in and let the records build for the car. If anything happens or repeats too often and Im given bs, its off to the lemon law I go. For example, mine is sitting in the dealership needing a new rear hatch sensor. It randomly threw an alert that it was open and the alarm went off. Happened twice over a week. Back to dealer and thats that.

Sorry to hear youre having issues with yours this early on.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Bring it in and let them work on it. Simple as that.

I dont touch anything on the car (been working on cars for over 15 years now), I just bring it in and let the records build for the car. If anything happens or repeats too often and Im given bs, its off to the lemon law I go. For example, mine is sitting in the dealership needing a new rear hatch sensor. It randomly threw an alert that it was open and the alarm went off. Happened twice over a week. Back to dealer and thats that.

Sorry to hear youre having issues with yours this early on.

Good luck and keep us updated.
That happened to me once but it was actually opened when I was briskly walking to the grocery store entrance and the key fob button was in my pocket with my wallet. The button accidentally got pushed and the hatch actually opened and set off the alarm and message on FordPass app. I'm glad it did because I would've been shopping with my hatch open the whole time.

I believe all pump nozzles in Canada have to be 'hand-held' while filling up. At least all the stations I've visited. This changed years ago.
EDIT: Just found this article. I use Petro-Canada and haven't seen the locking device installed yet. Gas nozzle locking clips are coming back to some Canadian pumps

Peter
Seemed to be that way for a while, but my local PetroCan reinstalled the holding clips just after COVID started. Very nice to have.

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this before I bring it to the dealership later this week. 2020 explorer xlt eco. Only 1800 miles. 3 times now, only after getting gas, the truck bucks, hesitates, and has zero pickup.. eventually it stalls. The dash will give me the message "shift to park and shut off engine" and also "full accessory power active" sometimes when I go to restart, it takes several attempts for the vehicle to start again. I did read somewhere that it could be the intake manifold gaskets? But on a brand new vehicle? The truck is going into the dealership this week, but I just figured I'd ask here to see what you guys think. Thanks a lot for any help.
Hello! My 2020 limited needed a brand new camera and all the wiring plus a new fuel pump and fuel pump sensor, different warning lights though (check engine and wrench light). Mine also had less than 2,000 miles. If you search the NHTSA you can read allllllllllll about the different types of problems people are having. Whatever it is, take it to a place that does warranty repairs and also will give you a free loaner. Mine was taken apart for two full weeks. Best wishes.

Hello! My 2020 limited needed a brand new camera and all the wiring plus a new fuel pump and fuel pump sensor, different warning lights though (check engine and wrench light). Mine also had less than 2,000 miles. If you search the NHTSA you can read allllllllllll about the different types of problems people are having. Whatever it is, take it to a place that does warranty repairs and also will give you a free loaner. Mine was taken apart for two full weeks. Best wishes.
Mine was at the dealership for 4 days this past week for the fuel pump. There were no warning lights when it stalled and wouldn't start.

Do you turn you car off when Gasing up ?
I routinely gas my work Transit and my Explorer with the engine running. I don't know why that would make a difference.
I always thought stopping your engine was a safety issue.

I routinely gas my work Transit and my Explorer with the engine running. I don't know why that would make a difference.
That is one reason. The tank develops a suction pressure for the pump, you can cause a check engine light to come on.

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this before I bring it to the dealership later this week. 2020 explorer xlt eco. Only 1800 miles. 3 times now, only after getting gas, the truck bucks, hesitates, and has zero pickup.. eventually it stalls. The dash will give me the message "shift to park and shut off engine" and also "full accessory power active" sometimes when I go to restart, it takes several attempts for the vehicle to start again. I did read somewhere that it could be the intake manifold gaskets? But on a brand new vehicle? The truck is going into the dealership this week, but I just figured I'd ask here to see what you guys think. Thanks a lot for any help.
I had a similar problem with my 2013 Edge Sport. After filling up it had problems starting and would run rough for a few minutes. Turns out I was over filling the tank by topping off. Apparently, I you top off the tank and cover the breather vent these issues can arise. Good luck.

It is a big safety issue. In Canada engines must be turned OFF when gassing up. IT's the law. It is also a good thing to do since a car could potentially build up static electricity and ignite fuel vapours. With it running it also increases the chance of a spark.

Peter

its under warranty, let the dealership deal with it. Could be a lemon and doing the work yourself could wind up in huge rabbit hole!!!!!!! Cant replace it under lemon laws if you dont allow manufacturer chances to fix the issue!

its under warranty, let the dealership deal with it. Could be a lemon and doing the work yourself could wind up in huge rabbit hole!!!!!!! Cant replace it under lemon laws if you dont allow manufacturer chances to fix the issue!

I appreciate the reply but where the heck did you get the idea I was going to work on it myself? :confused2:

I appreciate the reply but where the heck did you get the idea I was going to work on it myself? :confused2:
Well the fact that you posted here for help kind of leads people to believe you're trying to fix this yourself.

In my experience as a technician, if you have starting issues after fuel up it's usually a bad purge valve and or vent valve combo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back